Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Newbie - looking for a little guidance!

pangris

Hello, everyone. This looks like a great forum. I'm new here, but I'm "pangris" on all the other forums as well.

I've just joined USPSA and my local club (East Ascension Practical Shooters right outside Baton Rouge, LA). I shot my first sanctioned match last weekend and had a great time. I'm not new to shooting - I've been around the block and am returning to Thunder Ranch for the fifth time next month - but I'm a babe in the woods competition wise.

Right now I'm shooting production class with a G17. I am VERY tempted to buy a Para Ordnance LDA but I want to get some feedback on that idea #1, and get my feet wet and get classified #2. I'll probably keep using the Glock until then at a minimum.

In the meantime I'm waiting on my Pact Mk4 to arrive and STI Trojan in 9mm to practice, practice, practice.

I want to shoot limited 10 as well, but the competition there looks a little rougher.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself! Thanks for providing such a wealth of information.

Hi pangris and welcome to the forum.

Shoot the G17. Shoot it a lot. Practice with your new timer. Check out all the cool guns at the matches you go to and ask people questions about their guns. Shooters love to talk about guns. Check out how the different divisions (open, limited, etc) shoot stages and learn the Rules.

Right now I'm shooting production class with a G17. I am VERY tempted to buy a Para Ordnance LDA but I want to get some feedback on that idea #1, and get my feet wet and get classified #2. I'll probably keep using the Glock until then at a minimum.

My feedback would be swap #1 and #2. By then, you will be thinking about a S_I ;)

Single Stack, LOL you are right, #1 and #2 were reversed.

Thanks for all the hellos!

Regarding a S_I - nah... I roll my own. I just finished a beauty - traditional 5" single stack - but I'll build my own when the time comes.

I bought the STI 9mm for practice because it is much cheaper to buy than to build (and saves me about 60-90 hours).

My new baby... it is out at Gunsite having a finish applied :) I'll put it through the paces at Thunder Ranch in May. So far, accuracy and reliability have been good to go, no malfs and shoot straight. Caspian upper and lower, Kart barrel, parts are mostly Caspian, Ed Brown, CMC, and a S&A beavertail... this pic is in the white.

48319327.jpg

Paul

pangris

why not go to Gunsite, they offer good stuff too. besides it's where your gun will be....

I'm in Louisiana with family in San Antonio, so I'm getting while the getting is good, cost wise. I can drive to SA and stay there with free room and board. It is a little over an hour each way but it is worth it for the cost savings.

Once TR moves, I'll get to Gunsite... But the trip will cost 2X as much.

Looking forward to TR in Oregon as well, and I hope to get to Frontsite sooner than later as well.