Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 assembly

rtr

Ok I took my 1100CM apart for the first time tonight, put it back together and realized I had some extra parts, the gas rings. there are 2 one is a regular rubber seal the other is a rubber seal with a metal ring around it, do they go above (ie towards the muzzle) ring that is attached to the barrel and goes around the mag (where the gas comes throuh) or below it. I placed them below it with the smaller ring closer to the muzzle. Did I do it right?

BTW, if you run loads as hot as mine are, that o-ring isn't necessary. I forgot to put mine back in when function testing and my gun ran fine w/o it. With light loads I don't think you could expect that to happen though...

Piston seal toward the action, rubber o-ring toward the muzzle. The piston seal is directional. Don't you have a sticker on the gun that shows how to assemble these?

No sticker, I do have a manual but it wasn't clear to me. So your saying they o-ring should go on the bottom (towards butt of gun) and the piston seal (rubber ring with metal insert) should go above that, and they should both be between the piston and the gas port?

No. Take off the forearm and barrel. Put on the (metal) piston seal, in the correct direction. (Going from memory here, it's got a thicker, wider outside diameter that goes toward the butt.) Put on the (rubber) o-ring, being careful not to trash it on the magazine threads. Put on the barrel. Put on the forearm.

Here's a pic shameless lifted from another forum. Muzzle direction is left, butt is right. It's an older, two-part piston seal, but you get the idea.

remington1100-20.jpg

This great topic from yet another forum has detailed disassembly instructions and pictures. The pictures associated with steps 2 and 3 show the seals, from a muzzle-right orientation.

Edited by Erik Warren