Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some basic Benelli M2 questions

Nimitz

So I think I've convinced myself that I want to get an M2 for 3-gun competitions but I'm a novice when it comes to shotguns. I've been told that I should look into getting an M2 Field w/21" vent ribbed barrel. (Or find a deal on one with a longer barrel & have it cut down to 21" ...) So I have a couple of questions ...

- What am I giving up by going with an M2 tactical w/18.5" barrel vice a Field w/21" barrel (I guess I don't really understand shotgun stages too well yet)

- Is the vent ribbed barrel offered on the Field really important? What is it's major benefit?

- Is it possible to get the M2 Field with the pistol grip stock? It doesn't look like Benelli offres it? Is there an after market version?

Thx

I see, as I wrote this, you are searching the older Benelli threads so I am sure you will find all of your answers via the searching of the innumerable threads asking these questions.... cheers.gif

Can't/won't go wrong with the M2 21" Field model.... It's the one! wink.gif

The general consensus is that the Benelli's run better with the regular stock.. It "seems" that most people who have issues also have the pistol grip stock... or so the internet wisdom says :roflol:

I went with the M2 American (no comfortech stock) and with the 26" barrel... I love it :cheers:

The vent rib is important for mounting sights also.

I would not go with an 18" barrel. I shot that on my m1 and its great for tight or close courses but the 21 and 24 barrels are the way to go. Get chokes!

Yes, there are pistol grip stocks, factory and after-market. I have the factory Suregrip pistol grip but you lose the Comfortech advantage.

21 or 24" is the way to go. I've had both and they shoulder and swing well. Pistol grip to me depends on personal preference. I grew up bird hunting, so a traditional stock feels natural.

Go with the M2, 21 inch barrel, comfortech stock. Adding a 5 shot extension will bring the extension to the same length as the barrel. Vent rib is better for cooling especially when shooting a lot fast. Also,, get the ComforTech stock instead of the pistol grip...much better recoil management since the stock is two pieces separated by little rubber absorbers. Pistol Grip really not needed.

I have the M2 and love it. Fastest shooting gun I've ever shot. It can shoot a lot faster than I can. I put a side saddle on it, but you won't want to hang much more on it since the gun is inertia driven.

Then send the bolt and carrier latch to Benny Hill for mods. Bolt lightening will give you a shadow round if you ever need it (10 rds) and the barrier latch will allow for much easier reloads. The stock carrier latch is very firm and hard on reloads.

Thx guys ... my main concern at this point is to be able to get a solid shotgun that 1) doesn't put me at an "equipment disadvantage" starting out even though my skills are at the low end since I'm just getting into 3-gun, 2) I don't want to buy a gun & then find out 3 months into competitons that I really should have bought an "X" instead ... and 3) when starting something new I always like to buy quality equipment that I know is above my present skill level (ie: I can't take advantage of all the equipment's capabilities yet) so I can grow into it & in this case maybe even be able to keep the basic gun and do mods when my performnce is being hindred by not doing them & I can justify spending an additional $2,000 on the $1,000 gun I bought ...

So, it sounds like a Benelli M2 Field w/21" VR barrel + chokes (anyone want to recommend the ones I'll most likely to need?) is the way to go. I still am partial to the pistol grip stock but I need to think about that some more ... HS101: can you eloborate on your comment about people w/pistol grips seeminng to have more issues? What kind of issues?

Thx again all ... great forum for a noob like me!

It was in reference to posts I have seen from Kurt Miller and Trapr S. There were several threads with (thinly) veiled sarcasm about pistol grip Benelli's... When I first went with a Benelli, I was coming from a Remington 11-87 with a California compliant pistol grip stock that I really liked. After reading several threads here, and looking around at several major 3 gun events (Area 6 Multigun, Fort Benning, etc...) I came to the conclusion that the standard stock was the way to go.

It seems the anecdotal evidence pointed to cycling issues with the pistol grip stocks (specifically aftermarket pistol grip stocks). I am FAR from an expert. The people to look to for answers would be Benny Hill, Kurt Miller, Trapr S.... They have vastly more experience to make their opinions from, I just have what I have picked up here...

great, thanks. I'd propbably feel a little more comfortable if it were a Benelli stock vice a 3rd party but we'll see ... now I just have to see if I can find a 'resonable deal' on an M2 Field ... there's a local gun show here in about 2 weeks so at least I'll get to see what all the retailers within 100 miles are selling them for ...

The ComforTech stock is the stock stock (no pun intended) from Benelli on the M2 Field. You can't go wrong with it. Any dealer in your area should be able to order one. I went to a respectable local gun shop and they ordered one for me and I had it within 5 days.

Ok, one last 'dumb' question about M2 configurations ... after some searching on-line I see that Benelli has a Steady Grip stock (pistol grip) for the M2 field so ...

1. the configuration chart on BenelliUSA only shows this stock configuration on the 24" VR barrel Field gun; any reason it wouldn't go on a 21" VR barrel Field?

2. It also only shows the Steady Grip stock for the Field in their 'APG Real Tree' coloration which probably wouldn't look all that stylish on a black matte finish gun so does the black matte pistol stock for the M2 tactical fit on the M2 Field? Don't really need to pay for the Realtree finish as i won't be turkey hunting with it ...

... ok, that was 2 dumb questions ...

Ok, one last 'dumb' question about M2 configurations ... after some searching on-line I see that Benelli has a Steady Grip stock (pistol grip) for the M2 field so ...

1. the configuration chart on BenelliUSA only shows this stock configuration on the 24" VR barrel Field gun; any reason it wouldn't go on a 21" VR barrel Field?

2. It also only shows the Steady Grip stock for the Field in their 'APG Real Tree' coloration which probably wouldn't look all that stylish on a black matte finish gun so does the black matte pistol stock for the M2 tactical fit on the M2 Field? Don't really need to pay for the Realtree finish as i won't be turkey hunting with it ...

... ok, that was 2 dumb questions ...

1. Good question - no answer :)

2. Yes, here's the link and I've got one at home also:

http://www.benelliusa.com/parts_and_accessories/stocks_and_forends.php

thx! Sorry, one more ... is there some real difference between Steady Grip & the pistol grip stocks (besides coloration)? they both say 'non adjustable'

I think they all say that but there are adjustable stocks that are from after-market vendors, such as this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=167020

I don't think Benelli has an adjustable SG stock.

ok Thx. since they called the 2 pistol grip stocks by different names I was wondering if there was something different about the pistol grip stocks for the Field vice the Tactical but it sounds like it's just the marketing dept ...