Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trainning

jarozzy

I have a 600 round a month budget. That includes matches. I plan on doing one match a month. If a match is 200 rounds then than leaves me with 400 rounds of live fire practice. Is it better to have one live fire practice a month with 400 rounds, one live practice every two weeks with 200 rounds or a live rire practice every week with 100 rounds? I plan on doing dry fire as well.

I think I would try the 200 every two weeks. I wouldn't want to be off the gun for up to a month at a time, on the other hand you can go through 100 rounds pretty quick and might not get everything in that you want to work on. More importantly though I would really look at what you practice in each session. I would leave draws and reloads to dry fire only and maybe just track your times for these on any drills you shoot live to see where you are at. But don't waste a lot of rounds on drills specifically for these (like double draw master) work on a fair bit of accuracy drills, groups off a bench and freestyle, timing drills, transition drills. Really focus on the basics.

you can always buy a .22, try to keep the same grip angle when purchasing. Make the targets smaller and shoot till your hearts content. then pull out your primary and end the practice using it.

There are a few drills you can do with a .22, like transitioning, small drills, movement in and out of positions. etc. But if you are using a .22, the key is to make the drills extremly hard, where it forces you to use your sights, the light recoil discourages alot of people, but it shouldn't. also look at an airsoft gun, and you can setup drills in your garage or backyard.

you could also buy some cheaper bullets, like BBI, they are great bullets and not too expensive.

I had a similar problem, but I was tight on time as well as ammo.

The advice about leaving draws and reloads to dry fire is good advice, if they are already match ready and just need maintenance.

What I did was ananlyze my current weaknesses and then design low round count drills for them.

I worked a lot on entries and exits, and would start, run to a position and shoot one shot at a steel target.

I got tired before I ran out of ammo. :)

My all time favorite drill only takes 6 or 8 rounds...