Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed with bullets shooting high right

tone44

Could someone please help me. I've got a Glock 34 and am reasonably new to pistol shooting. My bullets seem to be shooting right in the 1 - 3 O'Clock position. I've sighted the pistol in on the bench and it shoots fine, the issue is the operator. When dry firing I've noticed that I 'milk' the grip when squeezing the trigger and it does seem to pull to the right. When I hold the grip really tightly it eliminates this problem when dry firing, though I would have thought that relaxed is best for IPSC based on Matt Burkett's DVDs which I've found to be brilliant. Could anyone offer some advice please as I'm feeling a nervous breakdown coming on with not being able to shoot straight. Thanks

get friend with stick to stand behind you and smack you everytime you do it. It worked for me..... :roflol:

Really, in my experience one the best training tricks here is dummy round drills where you have several dummy rds at mixed random among the live rds in your magazines. You will see the front sight moving when you "fire" a dummy rd. It is an effective tool for lots of folks. Good luck.

get friend with stick to stand behind you and smack you everytime you do it. It worked for me..... :roflol:

Really, in my experience one the best training tricks here is dummy round drills where you have several dummy rds at mixed random among the live rds in your magazines. You will see the front sight moving when you "fire" a dummy rd. It is an effective tool for lots of folks. Good luck.

i think the stick trick is best for me...... :roflol:

That's great advice. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I'm most grateful and will give that a go.

IMO, this is a useless test. If you take any shooter thats been shooting for a while you will see him damn near fall on his face with this test. Your problem is you are moving the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel, not after. All this test will show is what happens after.

Dry fire will help you learn nothing bad happens when you pull the trigger. It sounds like you are anticipating the recoil and acting before it happens. Let the gun surprise you when it goes off.

Learn how to shoot good groups by learning to shoot your hold and not try to hit a spot as the sight pass it. To do this you must let the gun suprise you and resist the urge to make it go off now (as the sights pass your aiming point).

That's great advice. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I'm most grateful and will give that a go.

IMO, this is a useless test. If you take any shooter thats been shooting for a while you will see him damn near fall on his face with this test. Your problem is you are moving the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel, not after. All this test will show is what happens after.

Dry fire will help you learn nothing bad happens when you pull the trigger. It sounds like you are anticipating the recoil and acting before it happens. Let the gun surprise you when it goes off.

Learn how to shoot good groups by learning to shoot your hold and not try to hit a spot as the sight pass it. To do this you must let the gun suprise you and resist the urge to make it go off now (as the sights pass your aiming point).

You make a good point in that being hit with a stick could condition a person to shit themselves everytime the guns fires, waiting to see if they'll be hit or not. I've applied what you've said and have noticed that my issue is indeed flinching, but in a perhaps more less common way. I seem to be flinching by tightening my strong hand in that my fingers follow the trigger finger when it pulls the trigger.

I have a question, should my strong hand (maybe both hands?) therefore be holding the gun firmly to take up this slack in the tendons so the fingers don't follow the trigger finger? Massad Ayoob recommends this for self defence in that hold the pistol as tight as you can. Makes sense for self defence, though I'm just not sure if this is what the pros are doing in IPSC? Any ideas

thanks

Heh. I think he was referring to the "Cap and Ball" drill suggestion-- not the stick. But yeah, that's probably not a good idea, either.

That drill can be used to diagnose and break flinch, sure. But you've got to have an experienced instructor to distinguish between flinch and common recoil management/follow through response to a "click" and not a bang. And you've got to be an even more experienced shooter (i.e. calling your shots perfectly) before you can make the same distinctions about yourself.

When the shot breaks, whether a round is ignited or not, an experienced shooter is conditioned to respond in order to manage the recoil, perform proper follow through and get the sights to return to the original Index ASAP. This is not flinch; it's not fighting the recoil; and it's not effecting the path of the bullet. This twitch takes place after the shot is fired; flinch takes place before it leaves the muzzle. Even for someone who understands the differences, it's REALLY hard to diagnose what you're looking at when the gun goes "click" in the middle of a string of "bangs".

Show me a shooter who doesn't react with movement to an unexpected "click", and I'll give you 2:1 that I can show you a shooter with poor follow through and/or slow follow ups. ESPECIALLY someone who does speed shooting-- there might be bullseye guys out there who actually react to the "bang" and not just the tripping of the sear, but they're probably extremely rare even among slowfire guys.

Heh. I think he was referring to the "Cap and Ball" drill suggestion-- not the stick. But yeah, that's probably not a good idea, either.

That drill can be used to diagnose and break flinch, sure. But you've got to have an experienced instructor to distinguish between flinch and common recoil management/follow through response to a "click" and not a bang. And you've got to be an even more experienced shooter (i.e. calling your shots perfectly) before you can make the same distinctions about yourself.

When the shot breaks, whether a round is ignited or not, an experienced shooter is conditioned to respond in order to manage the recoil, perform proper follow through and get the sights to return to the original Index ASAP. This is not flinch; it's not fighting the recoil; and it's not effecting the path of the bullet. This twitch takes place after the shot is fired; flinch takes place before it leaves the muzzle. Even for someone who understands the differences, it's REALLY hard to diagnose what you're looking at when the gun goes "click" in the middle of a string of "bangs".

Show me a shooter who doesn't react with movement to an unexpected "click", and I'll give you 2:1 that I can show you a shooter with poor follow through and/or slow follow ups. ESPECIALLY someone who does speed shooting-- there might be bullseye guys out there who actually react to the "bang" and not just the tripping of the sear, but they're probably extremely rare even among slowfire guys.

Thanks Sin-ster, you make a lot of sense. I think you'd go well on Myth Busters if they ever did a story on pistol shooting technique myths. As a new person to the sport it's overwhelming how much there is to know and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and wisdom. Thanks again