Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S & W / Winchester Primers

rcc96

Have had a problem from day one with my new 550 straight out of the box with a "crunching / shaving down one side of the primer pocket" while seating primers on position #1...have talked to dillon twice first time told it was a brass issue second time possible primers and to try another brand ???

Suggestions...

Thanks.

RCC

Edited by rcc96

Are you by chance using win brass?? I have had the same problem on about 10 per 100. It seems that the primer pocket is a little off center. I only have this problem with win brass. What I have done that seems to help is chamfer the edge of the primer pocket. When I go to seat a primer, if it does not start easily I will take it out chamfer the edges and put it back in. More than likely you will have to use a little more force than normal. Can't wait till I run out of this crap!

Check the primer seating cup. I had the same problem with WSP primers and none other, then I looked and had a friend look and it came with the small powder dropper but the Large primer seating cup!!! Change the cup I bet you have no more crunched primers! Let me know!

Cheers!