Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are all calibers scored minor in production?

Gary Johnson

Are we talking about the USPSA G-34 Division?

Hold your fire now!

I shoot one so I'm not kicking. The evolution of the rule book just looks somewhat suspicious to us conspiracy theorists. ;)

Be safe, have fun,

geezer

Just because one guy is currently dominating the division with a G34, doesn't make it the G34 division. If you look at the top finishes at the last two factory gun nationals, you'll see that the G34 isn't an exclusive. We've had Para LDAs, XDs, Berettas, Sigs and a CZ make the top 8.

However, if we lift the 10 limit, then it will more so become the G34 divsion. Lift the 10 round limit AND allow major scoring, then the only competitive guns will be the G35 or the LDA .40.

Hold your fire now!

I shoot one so I'm not kicking. The evolution of the rule book just looks somewhat suspicious to us conspiracy theorists.  ;)

Be safe, have fun,

geezer

Just because one guy is currently dominating the division with a G34, doesn't make it the G34 division. If you look at the top finishes at the last two factory gun nationals, you'll see that the G34 isn't an exclusive. We've had Para LDAs, XDs, Berettas, Sigs and a CZ make the top 8.

However, if we lift the 10 limit, then it will more so become the G34 divsion. Lift the 10 round limit AND allow major scoring, then the only competitive guns will be the G35 or the LDA .40.

Yea, the guys to get paid to shoot other guns because they are in the best in the world can be competetive with the guns they get paid to shoot. B) They don't need a Glock to get close to Dave, now if they shot Glocks too, maybe Dave would be nervous :ph34r:

Hold your fire now!

I shoot one so I'm not kicking. The evolution of the rule book just looks somewhat suspicious to us conspiracy theorists.  ;)

Be safe, have fun,

geezer

Yea, the guys to get paid to shoot other guns because they are in the best in the world can be competetive with the guns they get paid to shoot. B) They don't need a Glock to get close to Dave, now if they shot Glocks too, maybe Dave would be nervous :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure that David Olhasso, who finished 7th in Production at the 2003 FGN, with a Beretta, and fourth in 02 with a Sig, wasn't getting paid to shoot....

Because of the ten round limit, all of those guns are viable choices. If money was no object, I'd still like to try S&W's performance center 5906 in Production. Alas, money is an object, and my glocks are paid for....

Hold your fire now!

Be safe, have fun,

geezer

One stellar Nationals match doesn't make the "gun" better than all others. Note, the high exalted Glock was beaten the previous year by a Para LDA. It was also beaten at an Area match by a Springfield XD.

So are you to say if Dave S wasn't shooting a Glock, he would be placing much lower in his scores?

Nothing irks me more than the guys that download their .40's to Powderpuff loads whereas us 9mm shooters load to max just to make Minor.

Actually, no. A 147-gr. bullet moving 885 fps will make a 130 pf. Minor with a nice cushion, and not even close to maxing out the cartridge. Also consider that in factory ammo, 124-grainers usually move in the 1150 fps range (and that's standard pressure stuff, forget about +P+ "maxing out the cartridge" ammo) but 1050 will make a 130 pf.

And to further confuse the caliber-centric, if the same bullet weight (147) is going the same velocity (885 fps) does it matter what the launching case is? 9mm, 40, 10mm, .45, etc?

Minor differences in power charge weight and rifling twist/bore torque aside, no.

If I want to load up super-powder-puff loads in .45 ACP, and go shoot Production with my .45 LDA, where's the harm? Or the competitive advantage?

To get back to the main topic, Production was set up scored Minor to remove Major/Minor from the equation, as it would almost instantly mean the 9mms couldn't play. Since the intent was to have an entry and equipment-neutral Division, there was no point in starting out eliminating the possibility of the 9mm guns playing. And their manufacturers staying home.