Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced target size calculation to simulate distance

ap3

How about in 175yrds, 150yrds and 125yrds? Not all targets are placed in exactly 200 yrds. blush.gif:bow:

It does not really matter at those ranges not enough of a difference between a 100 yard zero and a 200 yard zero to cause you to miss at 175 150 or 125. Now when you start getting to 400 and out there 25 yard increments start to matter.

Pat

I may not know as much as I previous thought.....BUT, I don't see much wind holding importance in this game. Even the higher winds and longer range targets at Fallen Brethren were easily hit by holding only a tiny bit against the wind to hit gongs that are big enough for a noticeable margin of error.

I've overheard this at several matches where people argued about how much wind to hold with the current 8-12mph crosswind to hit the target that is 285 yards away, and again how much to hold for the target that is 385 yards away. I watched them burn through an entire mag for SEVEN targets before giving up, I maybe dropped 2-3 shots and held NO wind. Similar conversations occured about shooting up and down angles at the Pro-Am, for targets that were 200-330 yards out. The answer was point at the center and pull the trigger.

Personally, I have the luxury of a 400yd range, so I don't try to practice with reduced sized targets. I still do not see the use of them after reading this on here. gdboytyler had the best response I've seen so far.

IMO...knowing you hold over for distant targets, and where to hold for those 7 yard head shot paper targets with no shoot head at the neck line.....that info is important to practice! Otherwise, you are just trying to be more precise and teach yourself to shoot smaller groups......which is good, but does not necessarily make you better at distant targets.

ETA.......if you are shooting 55gr ammo at targets YMMV. I shoot 69gr SMK in .223 and either 168gr or 175gr SMK in .308.....the lightweight ammo is for paper and plinking.

Edited by EaZeNuTZ33