Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative to ESP electronic hearing plugs

I saw this today and can be ordered custom made. It is used by military and they

claim that there's no time to put on the hearing when IDE or shooting occurs. These

double filtered plugs increases DBa as the noise outside gets worse! It is also claimed that it is

good enough to hear conversations. The way to order it is to get an audiologist to make custom

impressions and then send it in to EAR to make the custom molded hearingdefenders DF. Any thoughs on this? I think

its a great idea and almost the same concept as the analog ESP for 800.00 bucks? but these are just

about little over $100 dollars..it is also compared to full custom molder silicone ears and these are better!

here is the link:

http://www.earinc.com/p1-dual-filtered.php

Edited by shooterbenedetto

• 2 weeks later...

A company came by work and they had these custom mold ears that have the filter that is supposed to cancel anything above 85db. They had charts and graph and listed 9mm as 165bd. I thought about my muffs and them only reducing 30db. Ok so 130 is still getting in my ear. They look like the ones in your link that are clear molds with the red and blue insert filters. I decided to try, they were about 185 and I figured what's my hearing worth. I told the tech I did not normally like plugs because if I eat at the range my jaw hurts. He said no problem and when he made the mold he had me bite on a block to open my jaw. They sent the impressions away and I got them in the mail a few weeks later.

Range report. Comfortable, I could hear other people talk and no problems. When I shot my lim 40, not a peep of the round fired in my ear. I wore them all day and ate with no discomfort. Now I don't know if the filter thing is a gimmick but it works as told to me. I can hear people but not the gunfire. Drawback. I am still wearing muffs on top when I ro an open shooter. I don't know if it was the sound or the percussion from the comp. But that made me wince.