Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection?

EP4 and they are really good in the summer as muffs are super hot. When indoors I double up howard leigh electronic muffs over the EP4.

+1 on the Ep4..just started using them..cheap and they work great.

• 2 weeks later...

I use special molded plugs fit to my ears + ear muffs from 3M. It helps protect my ears when I shoot open. I also like to cut out ALL extra noise that may break my concentration just before the buzzer goes off.

I've been shooting for some 35 years and I've always had and wear custom molded earplugs that have filters that limit sound to 80 decimals. I found that when your not on the line, it becomes habit for many to lift their their ear muffs up slightly or to pull a plug out to have a converstion while on the range while others are shooting. Not a good idea of course, but it happens quite often. Just a thought, keep the plugs in and muffs on. -John

I used to wear the cheap foam plugs and would add muffs for CF rifle. Then about two years ago a vendor at a match was making the molded plugs and I bought some. I wish I'd done it sooner. I don't double up with the molded plugs and have had no discomfort even with my 3Gun rifle brake.

When it is my turn to shoot I only have ear plugs in (foamies). But when i'm watching others shoot i always have doubles on. I notice the over hearing protection too much when i'm shooting so I leave it in my bag.

Indoors I was using foam plugs and Peltor electronic muffs. At the last gun show I had some molded ear plugs made and now use those under the Peltor muffs. When I shoot trap, skeet, 5 stand, or sporting clays which of course is outdoors, I just use the molded plugs. I have not shot USPSA or IDPA yet but have watched both to see how it's run and I helped tape, I just wore my Peltors and they seemed fine. I am going to do my first Steel Challenge in a couple weeks and will try the Peltors by themselves first but will have the plugs around my neck just in-case.