Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I "index" differently?

I've shot a handful of matches with my Kimber CDP. The first three or for matches a lot of my shots seemed to go high. I got together with one of the more senior guys in our club and shot a little bit. When I shot my gun I consistently shot about 5 inches high (10 inch plate, 25 feet). When he shot my gun it was dead center. We talked about sight alignment and I don't think I'm doing anything different than he is. I was relaxed and flinch free. So I guess what my question is why do different people index differently ?

Well you can't rule out that the fellow who shot after you was shooting low.

Even if he was a gm (actualy Specialy if he was a gm).

Your gun might just be doing that shooting high..

I would say try grouping it at 15 yards both standing and from the bench..

If it shoots high no matter how you shoot it, supported and unsupported, then just andjust the sights :)

3 to 4 inches is not bad..

next time your at the range take some 2 inch shoot and see stickers with you.

Try to shoot from a bench or table if you can and try to shoot 5 inside the sticker (@15 yards take all day if you have too)

It will tell you all you need to know..

If all your shots are the size of the sticker but high then adjust your sights..

If you can't group that small from the bench then there's a posibility your fundamentals are playing a role in what your seeing.

If you don't have adjustable sights and your shooting high then your limited to two options..

1)Learn your hold a different distances

2)change your front sight to a taller front sight

Either way taking the time to do 200 rounds or so of grouping shooting in a single session will give you great insight into why rounds are not going where they shoot..

I've shot a handful of matches with my Kimber CDP. The first three or for matches a lot of my shots seemed to go high. I got together with one of the more senior guys in our club and shot a little bit. When I shot my gun I consistently shot about 5 inches high (10 inch plate, 25 feet). When he shot my gun it was dead center. We talked about sight alignment and I don't think I'm doing anything different than he is. I was relaxed and flinch free. So I guess what my question is why do different people index differently ?

Are you looking at the front sight or the target? What was your hold/sight picture on the plate compared to other guy, center or 6 o'clock?

Grip can, sometimes, change index between different shooter on same gun.

Since you have fixed sight, you will need to spend some time at different distances to determine the sight picture/alignment and point of impact relationship.

MDA

Edited by mda

Try bench shooting your gun, get a good base and shoot from there and see what you get. This way you have a baseline. Like Carlos said, if you have a fix sight, you have to compensate for that. BUT, bench shoot first.

It can be your trigger finger. I found out too recently by group shooting that I'm shooting high left at 25 yds. Trigger finger problem. Same thing with weak hand only, shooting right at 3 o'clock.