Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame Damage, need to make a decision ASAP

jtielke

I was about 300 rounds into practicing for Double Tap today when my Beretta 92FS Vertec locked up, something it has never done before. I managed to force it open and found a piece of the frame had broken off and gotten stuck. Only thing I can think of it is roughly in line with where the locking block comes down at. Not sure how that could knock a chunk out of the frame but something did. I filed a bit of displaced metal off on the inside of the frame to get the slide operating smoothly again.

Need opinions on if the gun is safe to shoot for one or two more practice sessions and one more match. I was considering changing platforms after Double Tap but didn't really want to less than a week before the match. I haven't shot more than 100 rounds out of any pistol except for this one in the last 5 years. Have to make a decision soon so I can start getting used to something different if I have to. Also need to find magazines/holster in a short week if I'm going to a different gun.

I highlighted the areas where metal is missing.

IMG_1933z.jpg

IMG_1934z.jpg

Ben Stoeger had one of his high round count Berettas lose a piece in about the same place....I think he ended up shooting it some more as it still grouped well.

Edited by pivoproseem

I was about 300 rounds into practicing for Double Tap today when my Beretta 92FS Vertec locked up, something it has never done before. I managed to force it open and found a piece of the frame had broken off and gotten stuck. Only thing I can think of it is roughly in line with where the locking block comes down at. Not sure how that could knock a chunk out of the frame but something did. I filed a bit of displaced metal off on the inside of the frame to get the slide operating smoothly again.

Need opinions on if the gun is safe to shoot for one or two more practice sessions and one more match. I was considering changing platforms after Double Tap but didn't really want to less than a week before the match. I haven't shot more than 100 rounds out of any pistol except for this one in the last 5 years. Have to make a decision soon so I can start getting used to something different if I have to. Also need to find magazines/holster in a short week if I'm going to a different gun.

I highlighted the areas where metal is missing.

IMG_1933z.jpg

IMG_1934z.jpg

I would dress it up removing all the sharp edges so as to stop any further cracking polishing to a nice finish in the crack zone . Then shoot the poop out of it and hope for the best. You really dont have enough time to to be switching gear this close to a major. I think the results would be very poor switching now. The flip side is the gun could continue to crackup so keep an eye on it.

Jason

If you are really worried that much about it, take it to Fred at Briley. You will have to ask for him, because he is in the back room. He was one of the head gunsmiths for Beretta, he knows those guns in and out. Tell him I sent you and that you are on our team and you shoot with me. They are closed on Monday, so Tues

I don't see any other cracking. Going to test fire it in the next couple of days and see if the filing was enough to get it running again. Was concerned a problem with some other part caused this but I can't find anything else wrong. If there's still a problem after test firing I'll check with Briley. Thanks guys.

In case anybody else runs into the same problem in the future here's what I found out. Test firing went about how I thought it would. Without that chunk of metal over there the locking block wasn't supported on one side when the slide went back. Locking block wasn't going straight down and was hitting the rail just behind it and side of the slide. After a few shots metal was displaced and impeding the slide's movement. Need to get the frame fixed and clean up the slide where it was slightly damaged before it's going to run again. Probably not going to get that done anytime soon since I was planning on switching to a different platform anyway.

Tried out an M&P9 I won at a match last year but haven't really shot. Did a quick trigger job on it this weekend. It ran flawlessly and I didn't have any trouble switching to it. Just need to round up some magazines and see if I can adjust my mag pouches to fit for use at Double Tap.

I saw your post about this on another forum...

Finding Beretta frames are pretty easy.

How about getting another vertec frame and just swap out all the small parts in the frame to duplicate the trigger pull and such?