Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Front Sights

Gooties

I'm a newbie (first post) but was hoping you could help with what I suspect is a common problem.

The front sight on my 9mm Glock keeps getting loose. I tried using lock-tite on the little nut but the gun gets so hot, it just burns off and gets loose again.

I was thinking of hitting the nut with a dab from my wire welder.

Would this be a bad idea? What have y'all used to keep the sight tight?

Red

Red,

You shouldn't have any need for a welder.

Since you mention a nut, it sounds like you have an after-market sight of some sort?

I use blue loc-tite on mine, but some go for a more aggresive loc-tite. The key, with whichever loc-tite, is to clean and degrease the area before applying the loc-tite. I'll throw the parts in a shot glass with mineral spirts (or some type of cleaner) to soak, then I'll get after them with a Q-tip and a clean brush. I then let them dry before applying the loc-tite. Good so far. (10's of thousands of rounds)

I don't know anybody that has had to weld theirs on. And, there isn't much extra clearence between the nut and the barrel.

I had the same problem with Mepro's put on a G34. Do everything Flexmoney said, get the right tightening tool, and besides at the nut connection and base of sight on slide, also lay a bead of blue loctite along sight length where it sits on slide, both sides. Most important, let it cure (dry) for 24 hours before you test. Be patient and it will work!

The most important thing with any locktite product is to clean the parts well with a DRY solvent, like brake cleaner, MEK, lighter fluid or acetone. Mineral spirits will leave a film that will prevent proper bond.

Locktite purple for small screws or blue is sufficiant.

BTW, I do remember that on *some* night sights, getting loctite on the *tip* of the screw is bad, because it will pull on the tritium vial as it dries, eventually breaking it.

FWIW, I've had all kinds of night sights on my guns and never had the front sight come loose. Do what people said as far as removing ALL the oil, then make sure you let your gun sit for 24 to 48 hours and let that loctite set up good.

E