Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot My First IDPA Match

GONZO!!!

WOW..after 21 years of not competing (USPSA/IPSC) I decided to come back to the sport I love. A local club had an IDPA match 4 stages with a 5th small fun house stage that we had to shoot blind. No walk through.

I was nervous for my frst stage. I wasn't nervous about my skills as much as technical procedural things like tac-load magazine retention, tactical priority, etc.

I worked for about two hours Friday night finding the right concealment cover and practiced until I had a fast draw and magazine change. The rest of my skills I had confidence in.

After 21 years, my shooting was good; not great, but very good. Draws and mag changes were smooth and solid. I did incur a procedural when I reloaded without the use of cover (blame old USPSA habits)and during a mag change I just let the mag drop but just as it cleared the mag-well I actually caught it and stuffed it into my pocket. It was smooth and for a bit everyone thought I did it on purpose. we all had a laugh about it but it was pure luck.

The Blackhawk Serpa holster is fast but I hate plastic. I will eventually find a leather holster that fits my needs. My new gunbelt from BullHideBelts.com was fantastic. Kept all of my gear comfortable. See my initial review of the belt in the equipment forum.

Anyway, I am back. First match jitters are over with. I had my first penalty and am now working on strenghtening my overall performance. Received my IDPA card in the mail (also received my USPSA card) and so I am now in the race.

GONZO!!!

WOW..after 21 years of not competing (USPSA/IPSC) I decided to come back to the sport I love. A local club had an IDPA match 4 stages with a 5th small fun house stage that we had to shoot blind. No walk through.

I was nervous for my frst stage. I wasn't nervous about my skills as much as technical procedural things like tac-load magazine retention, tactical priority, etc.

I worked for about two hours Friday night finding the right concealment cover and practiced until I had a fast draw and magazine change. The rest of my skills I had confidence in.

After 21 years, my shooting was good; not great, but very good. Draws and mag changes were smooth and solid. I did incur a procedural when I reloaded without the use of cover (blame old USPSA habits)and during a mag change I just let the mag drop but just as it cleared the mag-well I actually caught it and stuffed it into my pocket. It was smooth and for a bit everyone thought I did it on purpose. we all had a laugh about it but it was pure luck.

The Blackhawk Serpa holster is fast but I hate plastic. I will eventually find a leather holster that fits my needs. My new gunbelt from BullHideBelts.com was fantastic. Kept all of my gear comfortable. See my initial review of the belt in the equipment forum.

Anyway, I am back. First match jitters are over with. I had my first penalty and am now working on strenghtening my overall performance. Received my IDPA card in the mail (also received my USPSA card) and so I am now in the race.

GONZO!!!

Welcome back.There's a lot of fun in both games.I still find a procedural and some first match jitters at every match. Edited by kellymc

• 3 weeks later...