Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upper Receiver Choices

kennygss

Hi guys, I have a couple of older H-Bars I want to convert to flat top. ( no M-4 feed ramps) It seems allot of the upper receivers are out of stock. ( Bravo Company etc) How ae the Double Star uppers? Compared to stag? Or, should I back order a "quality" part from Daniel Defence or some such. Are they that different, or are there 4 guys making them for everybody! LoL, Opine please.

If you want something a little different, Sun Devil is now making a flat top upper with shell deflector but no forward assist.

Also has no M4 feed ramp cuts, so they can be used with either rifle or m4 barrel extensions...

Most forged upper and lowers come from a handful of forging houses. They are then machined to final dimensions. Some do the machining in house, others contract out the machining and final anodizing.

I always like to make sure that the end of the receiver (where the barrel nut threads begin) is exactly perpendicular to the rail (stand it up on a flat surface and see if it leans).

Mick

You might also try Palmetto State Armory - good stuff at a good price, I've put together a couple of rifles using their stripped uppers and lowers. As has been said above, all mainstream uppers come from a handful of forges and are then machined in house or under contract. So long as they are in spec, the difference in price between them often boils down to paying for nothing more than the rollmark. There are some very high quality exceptions exceptions machined to more exacting tolerances (such as the VLTOR MUR, for instance) but in mainstream land there just isn't that much difference between a DPMS, BCM, Stag, DD, Bushmaster, YHM etc etc etc.

Edited by DanielW

Double star makes good stuff but they have like a teflon finish I beleive it is. It looks good and holds up very well but it dosent match the standard finish on most guns. I have built a couple guns off double star parts