Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troy Di optic thoughts

stre-tch

I am looking at getting a new rear sight to go along with a disapater build.

I was about pull the trigger on a DPMS rear sight but saw this and was wondering if the diamond shape would help me get a more consistent sight picture than the round one.

What do you think?

thanks

well, try to shoot one before you decide.... I think that you will find that you can't detect the shape of the rear while you are sighting through it. Really a circle is the shape that (in theory) works best in this application. Proper eye relief with an iron sight set up like that means that the rear sight is very close to your eye and the front sight is to be sharply focused. Your eye "finds" center in the rear peep..... it isn't "aligned" in the sense pistol front and rear sights would be. I'm not sure if you are building to meet any rule book for competition, but look at threaded rears that accept diff sized apetures. They make shooting in diff light conditions much easier.

well, try to shoot one before you decide.... I think that you will find that you can't detect the shape of the rear while you are sighting through it. Really a circle is the shape that (in theory) works best in this application. Proper eye relief with an iron sight set up like that means that the rear sight is very close to your eye and the front sight is to be sharply focused. Your eye "finds" center in the rear peep..... it isn't "aligned" in the sense pistol front and rear sights would be. I'm not sure if you are building to meet any rule book for competition, but look at threaded rears that accept diff sized apertures. They make shooting in diff light conditions much easier.

+1 to that

A quick test will prove this buy holding up a key that you can look through the hole. some keys have round some square, makes no difference = hold up the key so that you can look through the hole at about 2"-3" from you eye. now twist the key so that it is at a 45deg to your eye making the shape of an oval. with your eye close you can not detect the change with out moving back from the hole.

many thing we buy for you guns are just like fishing lures = made to catch the fisherman not the fish ;)

<_< But possibly if our eye was like a Cat's eye the diamond would work

Thanks for the info. :cheers:

That makes sense

This gun is going to be used primarily as a coyote wacking tool to practice using iron sights as well as possibly some local 3 gun events. It would go along with a 870 and XD40.

What rear sight do you guys recommend for run and gun and possibly low light shooting?

I have looked through normal combat ar15 sight but never a National match pair of sights. How does the National match sight do for moving targets?

Thanks

For low light work, The smallest apeture THAT YOU can see the front sight and target through. Irons, especially peep, get difficult in low light. Too big of an apeture and you might have difficulty with sight alignment, (A good solid cheek weld and stock position helps tons) and I have even seen shooters look beside the rear sight, between the wall and the outside edge of the rear peep and suddenly shoot way off (almost always left for a right handed shooter, right for a lefty)..... Smaller apeture helps accuracy, but restrict light. For irons on an AR I run a traditional flip with one small ap and one large. Some people call it the "night" sight and some the "close" (under 200 meters) sight. I leave it on the small apeture till lack of light demands the larger one. I'm pretty sure that NM rears have the same apeture sizes (just going on memory) but have finer adjustments.