Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom of Speech

Singlestack

I really hate it when someone thinks their freedom of speech has been violated when they suffer consequences for what they say.

Like the Dixie Chicks for example. They said some things that their fans did not like and when the fans quit buying albums, freedom of speech violation. BS.

We are free to say whatever we want, just make sure you are willing to pay the price for what you say.

Freedom of speech and consequences for speech are two very different things.

Get over it. :angry:

I hate that most of the people who claim freedom of speach have no understanding what that "freedom" cost. I think every "journalist" should have to watch the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan 10 times a month, maybe then they would get it, probably not.

Well said. People are free to say what they will, and they will be held accountable by the rest of us who are free to call them morons or just ban them from private property.

Big difference between a private entity making you comply with standards of behavior on their property and the gov't telling you what you can and cannot do.

Plenty of people out there who have no idea what freedom even is.

- Gabe

I've been trying to refrain from posting in the Hate forum... don't like it showing up as where I do the most "contributing." ;)

I gotta add something here, though. There are several philosophical works that should be read on this subject, including, but not limited to:

Justice Antonin Scalia, Majority Opinion in R.A.V. v. City of Saint Paul, Minnesota

Stanley Fish, There's No Such Thing as Free Speech, and It's a Good Thing, Too

Jonathan Rauch, Kindly Inquisitors: The New Attacks on Free Thought

Stuff from John Stuart Mill's On Liberty

They offer interesting (and sometimes controversial) points of view. Personally, I've gotten to the point where I don't waste too much time complaining about my rights being violated, but instead broaden my understanding about the rights that I *think* have been violated. Seems to me that that's the best tact to take, unless the violation is wanton.