Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Ice Holster

I just bought a Black Ice holster for my G34 to use in Producton just to find out it is NOT legal. Due to the opening exposing the ejection port more than 1/2". I want to modify it to close the opening a little. But is modifying legal?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty sure that this had been discussed and was already deemed legal. But if Blade Tech says no, they are in a better position to have checked this.

So if you already used it, you could put it in the classifieds, someone who shoots Limited can use it.

I just measured mine and the bend on holster starts at 1/2 inch. The tiny triangle is lower but the slide is covered on sides at 1/2 inch. With small triangle exposing 1/4 more. These were definitely sold under the assumption they were production legal. How could this happen when they were designing it? Has this officially been announced that we are all out 65 bucks over a 1/4 in triangle? :angry:

So if you already used it, you could put it in the classifieds, someone who shoots Limited can use it.

I'm going to keep it because I also have a G35 limited set-up. In fact I've been shooting my G34 in limited(minor) lately. It's just that State Championship is this weekend and I'm entering in Production.So that's why I have to be so anal.

We need to confirm this. It's our responsibility to make sure our equipment comply with USPSA rules; however, Blade-tech certainly is not helping. I have three Black-Ice holsters.

Me and the hundreds of others using them. When was it deemed illegal?

According to the female who answered the phone @ Blade-tech "we found out just recently".

I just measured mine and the bend on holster starts at 1/2 inch. The tiny triangle is lower but the slide is covered on sides at 1/2 inch. With small triangle exposing 1/4 more.

I just measured mines also. The cut-out IS 3/4 inch , BUT on the draw ,the muzzle clears at the 1/2 inch mark,the additional 1/4 cut-out is just the sight tunnel.

USPSA rules reads:

"May not be manufactured or cut lower than,

and must cover the slide up to, ½ below the

ejection port"

So how should this be interpret?

These were definitely sold under the assumption they were production legal. How could this happen when they were designing it?

Well, so far I don't see ANY advertising stating that it is Production legal nor it was designed for it.I bought it because I read on THIS forum that it is legal. I got it from reddotshooting and J*******n said it's Production legal .But I'm going how the rules read I would really get upset if I get bump to OPEN: :roflol:

Edited by 67 LS1 Camaro

I have the holster also. I contacted bladetech and showed them pictures of the measurements. I then told them what I needed and they remade me another holster so that it fit the production rules. I recommend contacting them, I didn't want to alter it and have it look bad, I am very happy with the new holster.

All,

FYI. Just spoke to the Sales Manager at Blade-tech. BT is aware of the issue and is taking a corrective action. I believe someone from BT will post here soon to confirm this.

Action:

- If your holster does not meet the 1/2" requirement, call BT customer service and it will replace the holster

Background:

- When the Black-Ice is produced from the mold, the holster purportedly does meet the 1/2" requirement. It is both IDPA & USPSA legal.

- However, to improve aesthetics, a few of the craftsmen filed down the channel/opening to create that "v" appearance; unfortunately, some of the holsters had too much material taken off.

In short, bravos to BT for taking a quick corrective action.

Team,

The Black Ice holster is designed and manufactured to cover no less than ½” below the ejection port. When the holster comes off the mold, the cutout port/sight channel area is straight. The craftsmen buff and round down the sight channel to bring a sense of symmetry and aesthetic appeal, which on some holsters, can cause them to be out of USPSA specification. The molds are being adjusted by 1/8” to compensate for material being removed from the final buffering process. Furthermore, our craftsmen are now aware and are more cognizant of the material being removed from the final buffering process.

If your holster happens to fall under being out of specifications, please contact customer service by: email returns@blade-tech.com or contact us directly by phone toll free: (877)331-5793. We will take care of your concerns immediately.

Blade-Tech always strives to provide the best gear available to enhance your shooting experience.

Kind Regards,

Brian

Edited by Blade-Tech

I don't believe the "v" in and of itself has anything to do with the USPSA spc. It's just with the excessive buffing or removing of the materials, the measured distance from the nadir of the "V" to the bottom of the ejection port is greater than 1/2", which is the legal limit.

Wow...very impressive Blade-Tech. Has uspsa officially said that the small v will make the black-ice fail to meet there rules?

1 more question: what about the folks that bought one from another store?

We warranty all our products. Please contact customer service by: email returns@blade-tech.com or contact us directly by phone toll free: (877)331-5793. We will take care of your concerns immediately.

Kind Regards,

Brian

Edited by Blade-Tech

I don't believe the "v" in and of itself has anything to do with the USPSA spc. It's just with the excessive buffing or removing of the materials, the measured distance from the nadir of the "V" to the bottom of the ejection port is greater than 1/2", which is the legal limit.

Wow...very impressive Blade-Tech. Has uspsa officially said that the small v will make the black-ice fail to meet there rules?

Correct. The "v" is just for aesthetic appeal.

Kind Regards,

Brian

Edited by Blade-Tech

1 more question: what about the folks that bought one from another store?

We warranty all our products. Please contact customer service by: email returns@blade-tech.com or contact us directly by phone toll free: (877)331-5793. We will take care of your concerns immediately.

Wow..you just don't see that kind of dedication now these days. You have a customer for life

I just measured mines also. The cut-out IS 3/4 inch , BUT on the draw ,the muzzle clears at the 1/2 inch mark,the additional 1/4 cut-out is just the sight tunnel.

I just re-measured and my muzzle does not clear before the 1/2" mark also. So does this pass?