Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Slide

sfchorn

I started to put this in the "What I Hate" category. But after thinking it through, I realized how lucky I am.

Found a crack in he slide of my one and a half year old limited gun. Bummer!

The good news is the builder will take care of it. Even better news, a friend droped it off saving me a two-hour drive (each way). Now I have two offers from two other friends to let me borrow their back-up guns until mine is fixed.

I love this sport, and the people in it.

Wish I could tell you. I've seen similar cuts on lots of other limited guns, but there could be dimensional differences in how my builder cut them. It could also have just been a bad slide - any manufacturer (no matter how good the quality control) is subject to the law of averages.

I have a good relationship with the builder. I can find out if any of his other builds have had an issue. If so, we can back off a tad on the cuts. A gram or two difference in slide weight WON'T be the reason I haven't made GM yet...... :roflol:

This gun has been a joy to shoot, and has run like a top. No regrets about the builder. He will make this right. I would buy another from him with no reservations.

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered a crack in one of mine a few years back. At first I was a little pissed. Then, I realized it had ingested about 100,000 rounds of major power .40 over the course of 10 years. I didn't ask the manufacturer to stand behind that. So, I just bought another, same brand. Should have about 6 years or 60,000 rounds left in it. :cheers:

I had the frame on a customized Springfield 1911 crack after 500 rounds. They replicated the work on a new gun. It also came back with a much better trigger.

I believe I've told this story a hundred times. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Springfield.