Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Iron Sights

carbon9

Hi, quick question, does anybody make a rear iron sight that will return to zero, or close to zero, after detaching and reattaching? My DPMS sure doesn't and my Daniel Defense 1.5 won't work in this application. I am trying to avoid collapsible sights if possible.

Thank you.

edited to add: elevation adjustable is what I am needing, hence why the DD 1.5 won't work.

Edited by carbon9

Larue or LMT are the only two that I've got experience with. With the LMT, there may be some slop on your recoil lug, so make sure you push it forward before tightening down the screw. They both returned close enough to zero that I didn't notice any shift, but both of these were on "fighting" carbines.

-Randy

I'm not sure if this helps, but what about co-witnessing your optic with a system that you don't have to swap on/off like the RRA Dominator2? I used to use one and may actually go back to it.

Just something to consider.

Thank you, neat idea.

I was looking at the regular RRA rear iron sight, I like the fact the screws are on the right side, recessed is even better. The reason I am looking for an iron sight that returns close to zero is for load development. I have a monster Burris 3-12 power scope in a JP mount for testing new loads for groups. When I take it off and put the DPMS back on I have to zero it again every time, PITA. You'd think by now somebody would have come up with an iron sight base with a precisely machined protrusion to fit in the notches on a rail just like you see on good scope mounts. Also, after my Leupold Prismatic gets here I may want to switch back and forth depending on the match or type of shooting I will be doing.

Larue or LMT are the only two that I've got experience with. With the LMT, there may be some slop on your recoil lug, so make sure you push it forward before tightening down the screw. They both returned close enough to zero that I didn't notice any shift, but both of these were on "fighting" carbines.

-Randy

I know that Troy makes the Larue sights and even LMT also. They just place their name on them.

If you tighten the troys down to the same torqe everytime then they will return to zero. Make sure you put them back in the same place they came off and you will be fine.