Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with 38 super VH loads for 627

lora

Need some starting points for major and steel loads with VH N320 powder, 160gr Bayou RN, OAL as well. Federal primers are the choice of course. Thanks. BTW, I arleady have the components as indicated. I know we have our own powder and bullet pref. but I have these, when I run out I'll check back with other powders and bullet weights.

I don't have a .38 Super, but I played with a friend's one time. That said, he uses a 160 with about 3.4 of Clay's and it shoots about like a .22. Dead on and soft as a lover's kiss.

Sorry, no info on N-320, but my experience with downloading N-320 is that it does not work well. You have to have enough pressure to burn it all cleanly, or you end up with a problem on reloads. Others may have better info.

Edited by Bwana Six-Gun

Hello:

I believe the 38 Super barrels were made on a 38/357 line.

You will need bullets sized for the 38/357 to get any sort of accuracy.

Regular 38 Super bullets are sized too small.

I also just shoot clays. I'm at 3.4 or so in the 38 Super. That's for the indoor winter plate matches. I'll need more for the outdoor events and to make minor.

That's what I found.

gm

Edited by GMM50

Thanks for the input sixgun and gm, yes the 160gr bullets are .357 and the supe guns did have the .357 barrel. as for the clays, I'll look forward to trying that for the steel. Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

In my 627 in 38 super I use 3.3gr of N320 and a Berry's 158gr .357 with an extremely heavy crimp to get to 125 pf. OAL is the standard 1.23". I have to crimp it heavy or else the bullets start walking on me. No idea on major since I only shoot ICORE. Oh, and it's an open gun so I have some holes drilled in the barrel. Burns very clean for me.

Thanks gobaby, I'll put that on the list to try and chrono. I hope to have results next weekend and I'll post results so you see how it is out of my gun.