Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loads for .40SW

Jayson

Looking for info on loads for 180gn lead round nose using tite group powder. looking for accuracy, minor and major. I would also like to know what OAL and what crimp you are using. The gun is a STI Edge. Thanks in advance

When I used to run Titegroup 4.5 grains at 1.180 used to get me about 167 pf with acceptable accuracy. Titegroup runs hot and makes a mess with lead bullets. Titegroup is cherry with jacketed bullets though

i appreciate all the info. Unfortunetely some of the links do not address exactely what I am looking for. please keep the load suggestions coming. Thanks

I guess the polite/subtle method failed :roflol:

Every one of the threads mentioned Titegroup and lead bullets, but it wasn't meant to be exhaustive...just to point you to the way you can follow the forum guidelines. That's why I said that there were 7 pages of threads that came back...which is a subtle way of saying "hey, go look it up, this has been covered many times before"....while still giving you some of the info you're looking for...sort of point you in the right direction.

Titegroup and .40 loads is one of the most common topics in the entire reloading section, and probably the whole forum. It's better to have data on one topic in one place/thread, than in 100 different threads, because it makes it easier for everybody to find. When people start a new thread on a topic that has been covered many, many times before, they're actually being selfish, even if they don't realize it...lots of folks have already spent a lot of time and effort answering questions like this, so it's unfair to ask them to have to type it all out again just because somebody new showed up. Wouldn't it be nice if there was only one thread on the topic you were interested in, and you could find ALL of the info you needed in just one place rather than have to search around for hours?

Just to point out that this isn't my idea:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Topic Search

Especially if you're new, please do a search before starting a new thread. (I searched the entire Forum for "shok buff" - it quickly found over 30 matches from various forums.) For detailed search tips, see the "Search Tips & General New Member Info" forum at the top of the forum's home page. Also check the FAQ’s, which are pinned at the top of their respective forums.

i appreciate all the info. Unfortunetely some of the links do not address exactely what I am looking for. please keep the load suggestions coming. Thanks

I guess the polite/subtle method failed :roflol:

Every one of the threads mentioned Titegroup and lead bullets, but it wasn't meant to be exhaustive...just to point you to the way you can follow the forum guidelines. That's why I said that there were 7 pages of threads that came back...which is a subtle way of saying "hey, go look it up, this has been covered many times before"....while still giving you some of the info you're looking for...sort of point you in the right direction.

Titegroup and .40 loads is one of the most common topics in the entire reloading section, and probably the whole forum. It's better to have data on one topic in one place/thread, than in 100 different threads, because it makes it easier for everybody to find. When people start a new thread on a topic that has been covered many, many times before, they're actually being selfish, even if they don't realize it...lots of folks have already spent a lot of time and effort answering questions like this, so it's unfair to ask them to have to type it all out again just because somebody new showed up. Wouldn't it be nice if there was only one thread on the topic you were interested in, and you could find ALL of the info you needed in just one place rather than have to search around for hours?

Just to point out that this isn't my idea:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Topic Search

Especially if you're new, please do a search before starting a new thread. (I searched the entire Forum for "shok buff" - it quickly found over 30 matches from various forums.) For detailed search tips, see the "Search Tips & General New Member Info" forum at the top of the forum's home page. Also check the FAQ’s, which are pinned at the top of their respective forums.

Gmanbart, I have read all of the threads that i could find as well as the ones you pointed out to me. If you read my very first post on this matter. I was asking for very specific answers.

OAL

180 LEAD ROUND NOSE

TG powder weight

crimp

accuracy load as well as major and minor loads.

After reading for many hours I have not found that info. maybe i missed it after 10 hours of reading the eyes get blurred. Sorry you feel bothered by my questions

Gmanbart, I have read all of the threads that i could find as well as the ones you pointed out to me. If you read my very first post on this matter. I was asking for very specific answers.

OAL

180 LEAD ROUND NOSE

TG powder weight

crimp

accuracy load as well as major and minor loads.

After reading for many hours I have not found that info. maybe i missed it after 10 hours of reading the eyes get blurred. Sorry you feel bothered by my questions

Not bothered at all, but the way you pose the question(s) says you may not have a full understanding of how all the various factors interact, because nobody can really answer what you're asking. You're going to have to do a bunch of reading (sounds like you've got some of that done), compare that with what you find in loading manuals, start low and work up. In other words, you'll have to read between the lines.

There are very few .40 180gr LRN being sold/used, so you won't find much data on them anywhere...if any at all. Even fewer folks use Titegroup with lead, because it causes a ton of smoke, so that cuts it down even more. You're going to have to use data for other bullets of the same weight, and start on the low side for powder charges.

OAL depends on your gun, but the vast majority of folks here with 2011 pattern guns like your Edge run somewhere between 1.18 and 1.22". There are tons of threads just on what OAL to run in a .40 2011, but that's the short answer.

Crimp for .40 with .401" lead bullets should be somewhere around .419-.421" or so. Again, many threads on this topic alone. Measure the bullet, measure the case wall thickness and take the diameter of the bullet + 2X the case wall thickness, and that's your target.

Accuracy loads will be entirely dependent on what your gun/barrel likes, so you'll just have to experiment. The whole "accuracy load" from many manuals doesn't mean much, if anything, for most pistol cartridges.

Powder charge: I ran the numbers for both a Hornady 180gr lead (sort of a truncated cone) and a Rainier 180gr plated RN (lead and plated are virtually identical), ran both of them on QuickLoad, and compared that with Hornady's published data for Titegroup. That showed right around 950fps with 4.8gr at 1.20" for both bullets, and only 24,000psi, so it's well short of a max load. 3.5gr showed right around 775fps at the same OAL, for a nice Minor load that should still work the gun.

Now here's the funny part; if you go back and look at any threads about .40 Minor with TG and 180gr moly, lead or plated bullets, they're probably going to say to try something around 3.5gr. For those same kind of bullets and Major loads, they're probably going to say to try something like 4.5gr....all give or take, of course. Funny, I spent 30min running numbers on QL, pulling data, then typing it up, and I still got the same numbers that people have posted time and time again :ph34r:

Where do i get this quick load you speak of? I know that making the bullet longer will slow it down and you will use more powder. Where I am having issues is everybody has a different load in there books. I am also not sure if the type of bullet (lrn,ltc,prn etc) will affect pressure. Thanks

Where I am having issues is everybody has a different load in there books. I am also not sure if the type of bullet (lrn,ltc,prn etc) will affect pressure. Thanks

Thats what everyone is trying to explain. There are so many variables, that there is no such thing as giving you the magic load you seek. The exact same load in 2 different guns will chronograph different and shoot different as far as accuracy. Lead bullets and jacketed bullets will have different pressures. Generally if you find a load for a jacketed bullet, a lead version will use a little less powder to achieve the same velocity. But there is no magic formula! You have to start low, and see what shoots best in your gun. Everyone elses loads are to be used as a guideline, but may not be best for you. And like they say, Titegroup and lead bullets means lots of smoke.

Where do i get this quick load you speak of? I know that making the bullet longer will slow it down and you will use more powder. Where I am having issues is everybody has a different load in there books. I am also not sure if the type of bullet (lrn,ltc,prn etc) will affect pressure. Thanks

This is where you get QuickLoad....it's not perfect, but it is handy.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Try to think of it this way: If all the other variables (bullet, powder charge, etc) are the same, the only thing that really matters is how much case volume the bullet uses. The more case volume used, the higher the pressure and velocity. Vice-versa is also true. The problem is that we can only easily (quickly) measure the overall length of the finished round, not how much case volume is being used. If you were to load two rounds with similar bullets (say, both JHPs), of the same weight, and one is .650" long, and the other .610" long, and you make them both 1.20" OAL, the one with the .650" long bullet is going to be at higher pressure and velocity because more case volume is being used....the tip of the bullets are in the same relative place, but the base of the .650" bullet goes a lot farther into the case.

This is why you're pretty safe if you pick a similar bullet type that has a similar profile (which means similar length), and start at the low end of the data, then work up. R,