Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shell plate lockup - 650

brand new 650

i was running some empty .40 to check the casefeeder and the deprime die.

the shell plate locked up. I can't rotate the shell plate, except back to the index.

when i pull the handle, the bottom of the platform hits the cam to move the index, but it doesn't index the plate.

my next option was to take it apart and lubricate.

but, this is brand new. This is how the machine came from Dillon.

What am i doing wrong?

Take the shellplate off. One possibility is the shellplate bolt set screw wasn't tight and the shellplate bolt tightened up as you used it.

The shell plate bolt lock screw is located on the left side of the ram. You have to raise the ram/shell plate to see it. The shell plate bolt is right hand thread, clockwise to tighten, and the shell plate moves clockwise so as you were loading the shell plate might have snugged down the bolt. If this turns out to be the case, make sure that you tighten the shell plate bolt lock screw after you readjust the shell plate. If you are unsure on how to adjust the shell plate for minimum wobble PM me and I'll explain.

Pat

Take the shellplate off. One possibility is the shellplate bolt set screw wasn't tight and the shellplate bolt tightened up as you used it.

The shell plate bolt lock screw is located on the left side of the ram. You have to raise the ram/shell plate to see it. The shell plate bolt is right hand thread, clockwise to tighten, and the shell plate moves clockwise so as you were loading the shell plate might have snugged down the bolt. If this turns out to be the case, make sure that you tighten the shell plate bolt lock screw after you readjust the shell plate. If you are unsure on how to adjust the shell plate for minimum wobble PM me and I'll explain.

Pat

just set up my 650 this week-end, this happened to me too, til I finally figure it out...forgot the set screw.