Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MP's Beginnings

stringcheese

I had my first match last weekend 5-1-2011

I had 3 pistol malfunctions with my new CZ 85 Combat. First two were caused by too long of an OAL at my reloading bench. Backed it down .005". Third was caused by me not loading the magazine fully.

I had 1 procedural on a complicated course of fire for having my foot out of the box.

I hit one no shoot, one Mike, and Hit a barrier on my first qualifier.

My first stage was a joke. It seems I shoot with a different point of aim when I am under the clock than when I am steady in practice. So, I slowed down by the third stage and had all A's and one C. But was 25 seconds off pace. The jams affected me the next couple staes but my shooting was mostly in the A box. I ended up 3rd from last on the list with a 28%. The one stage with no jams and nearly all A's I think I was 19th on that stage.

I need to better understand the time vs. hits and how it affects my over all score. The others in my squad couldn't explain it to me.

Reading more and knowing I am a bullseye/rifle shooter. I think I need to let go and run through my next match. There is only one practice session in my area and it is a long drive. I am never going to be a master or GM, I just do not have a place to practice. It sucks to know that. I was the "best in the west" in 1995 when I shot Small Bore 3 position in JROTC. Being the best, once at such a young age, and knowing I cannot do it again bugs me. I'm 34 now with 3 young children and 35lbs overweight. I smoke and drink beer. I used to watke up and run 3 miles before breakfast before school! I need another live-in DI! WTH happened to me?

I know I will be moving my family into a new home in the near future. It would be nice to get myself somewhere where I can practice more. It probably will never be possible. The SE Michigan area seems to be lacking the available practice ranges and matches that are available in the southwest. But I'm stuck here! I need some friends in the sport that can help me practice and get in shape.

I had fun at the shoot, plan to visit Ohio on 5-7 at FCSC.

SE Michigan? Where exactly? Michigan is a great state for USPSA. As is northern Indiana. I stated at 35 or so and age is not a problem. Get Steve Anderson's dryfire books and you'll get all the practice you need.

Forget fast or slow. Do a search on speed focus.

Sounds like you had a good first match. Hit factor is simply points divided by time. Highest HF wins. Some guys can look at a stage and determine it's HF for THEM, but that's really not important to me. For me it's about visualizing everything I'll do like a movie in my head. HF will then be the best I can do, sometimes high overall more times close but not the highest.

Good luck and PM me for any input.

SE Michigan? Where exactly? Michigan is a great state for USPSA. As is northern Indiana. I stated at 35 or so and age is not a problem. Get Steve Anderson's dryfire books and you'll get all the practice you need.

Forget fast or slow. Do a search on speed focus.

Sounds like you had a good first match. Hit factor is simply points divided by time. Highest HF wins. Some guys can look at a stage and determine it's HF for THEM, but that's really not important to me. For me it's about visualizing everything I'll do like a movie in my head. HF will then be the best I can do, sometimes high overall more times close but not the highest.

Good luck and PM me for any input.

I'm in Waterford. I am just learning my way around and want to shoot as much as possible this year. I am going to FSCS in Northern Ohio Sunday. I wish there was a match closer. I am leaving for brazil for a week around the 20th. I will be at Raccoon on the 28th(?), I think.

My second match 5-8-11

No pistol malfunctions! I was shooting low for some odd reason. I thought I had the pistol sighted in during my hour at the range last week??? Wth? So anyway, the guys at FCSC had a qualifier up, and at close range I put 2 in the B ring on a white target. All and all I had a good match and had a good time. FCSC has a nice clean range. They also had a rifle stage and someone let me borrow their kel-tek 9mm to shoot it. Not the nicest rifle I've ever shot, but it went bang and the lead hit the A ring.

I am once again confused by twisted rules. The last match I shot the RO scored a no shoot that hit the target behind it as a hit on the scored target. This match the no shoot hit was a mike? Every club is different I guess. Scores should be up tonight. I think I did well.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a look at the results today. I shot 265 of 478 putting me at 55.62% and in 10th overall. 3rd in production out of 6. Of the 20 shooters 1 was a B shooter and the rest were C's and U's. I am happy with my progression into my 2nd match. I hope to make the racoon club's match on the 28th. But I might not be recovered from my business trip to Brazil by then.

It was scored right at the second match. Take an RO class and that will help you with the rules. Unfortunately not everyone knows the rules, even RO's sometimes.. But believe me, everyone wants to have a good time and put out a great product for the shooting family. I don't get bent on the rules to much, mistakes happen. I figure overall, I'll catch the good and bad calls and it will balance out for me. I have enough confidence in our system and member knowledge not to fret it too much. It is good to have a rulebook in the range bag to look up questionable calls though. I just make it a habit to do so in such a way as not to slow everyone's match down. Good luck in your journey.