Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI 147overall length varying

Gary H.

I set up my 550 for the BBI 147's I just got in and I'm having problems. I set it to load a test batch of 3g N320 @ 1.30 COAL. I ran 20 and started putting them through the mic and I'm varying from 1.121 to 1.144 in length. I tried to run the long ones through the last 2 stages again to make them shorter to no avail. I tightened the shell plate down to where I can just turn it without forcing it and retightened the set screw. No joy. I then took the bullet seater head and changed it from the flat bullet profile to the round profile, and I'm getting about the same variation. Whats my issues? I appreciate the help guys!

Mixed or same headstamp brass ? When I load for 1.130 and mixed brass, anything +- .010 might be normal depending on the source and type of mixed brass. For me same headstamp brass usually brings it down to within .005 either way.

Know also that the coating may cause some difference in oal if the nose one one bullet is thicker than another. 1.144 seems excessive though.

What dies are you using ?

Mixed head stamps, but in checking, it seems to do it just whenever. I have Winchester at 1.121 and 1.143 and the same for Feds and others. I am using the dillon dies.

How did you set up your seating die? Is it touching the shell plate? I wonder if it could be pushing down on the plate and causing the variation at the opposite side where the seating die is at. I am using mixed range brass most of time and I usually don't get more than +/- .06 in difference. In fact, I just went through a batch of 9mm (124 CMJ MG, OAL- 1.155) and the range is 1.151 - 1.159 (measured 40 rounds). Not to be insulting but are you sure of your measurements? Case is square and centered on lip with consistent pressure with the nose center of the opposite lip? Dial, digital, or scale gauge?

I've been using calipers all my life. It is a digital and I've not had this problem with any other bullets. This is the first time. I think you meant to say that your variable was .006, not .06, Huge diffence. I set up the seating die just as described by Dillon. I measured my 147 JHP Zero's and 124 JHP MG, and my variable is .011 with those. I can see the problem with the round nose profile of the seater, the bullet noses at the flat point aren't the same diameter!

Edited by Gary H.

I've been using calipers all my life. It is a digital and I've not had this problem with any other bullets. This is the first time. I think you meant to say that your variable was .006, not .06, Huge diffence. I set up the seating die just as described by Dillon. I measured my 147 JHP Zero's and 124 JHP MG, and my variable is .011 with those. I can see the problem with the round nose profile of the seater, the bullet noses at the flat point aren't the same diameter!

Oops...yeah, .006 but you could see that from my example, my bad.

Guess you got it - the profile difference caused it, huh? I wonder if others are having the same issue since there are only a few seating profiles available and lots of people load BBI bullets (I won't with all the bad publicity they are getting lately). Also, Zero and MG are top of the line companies so I expect them to be better if it's not the reloader.

Please don't take the question about measuring as an insult - I've met lots of guys who did not have any background with it and was not very good with it - just asking.

Good luck

Not taken as an insult at all. Just answering a question. I need to get to the range to chrono these things so I can make changes as necessary to my load. Then go through and see how many of these damn things are odd sized. I know when I ordered the BBI's, the website said they were 2 - 3 weeks out. Ended up taking 7 I believe and they wouldn't answer phone calls or emails during that time. I wouldn't blame anyone for not ordering from them!

OK, I loaded a few more to get a decent sampling, then got to work with the mic. I loaded 72 bullets in total then devided them into groups. I got 39 from 1.120 - 1.1285 with a flat point that measures .230 as an average, 22 from 1.133 - 1.1395 that measure .224 at the flat point, and 22 from 1.140 - 1.145 that measure .215 at the flat point. I wasn't sure how to measure that transition from taper to flat point, so I found a piece of flat steel that had a dimple that was .008 deep and put the mic flat against the flat steel and put the bullets in the dimple. I know, not very scientific but the best I could come up with at the time. Should I mess with calling Black Bullets International on this and see if they'll do anything about it? I don't think I can run the 1.145 length in my M&P with any reliability and don't really want to have my shortest ones down around 1.110 to make them all work. Supreme accuracy isn't a concern, but reliability and making minor PF is. I shoot IDPA and have some state matches coming up.

I set up my 550 for the BBI 147's I just got in and I'm having problems. I set it to load a test batch of 3g N320 @ 1.30 COAL. I ran 20 and started putting them through the mic and I'm varying from 1.121 to 1.144 in length. I tried to run the long ones through the last 2 stages again to make them shorter to no avail. I tightened the shell plate down to where I can just turn it without forcing it and retightened the set screw. No joy. I then took the bullet seater head and changed it from the flat bullet profile to the round profile, and I'm getting about the same variation. Whats my issues? I appreciate the help guys!

I would suggest getting a bullet comparator for your mic and compare overall length from the ogive. For consistent presure and accuracy a more uniform measurement there means more than an OAL as long as you arent' getting so long as to have feeding problems.

There is some pretty good information on the Redding website on the tech section, and they address the probem of bulk bullets not being uniform.