Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do the MATH

Downrange58

For the second time in a row down in Richmond Ca. I had a failure to engage.... :surprise: Richmond puts on a great match with some very complex stages (for me as a beginner) and I seem to continue to not see every target.

I asked my friend Kevin C for a better way and he gave me what I am sure is obvious to most other shooters... Count the rounds required to complete the stage and make sure the targets you see add up to the right number. As a person who has HATED math all his life, I avoid most every situation that I have to use math (then why shoot production I ask myself?).

On the very next stage I started to apply this new found wisdom and low and behold, I couldn't find a target.. :rolleyes:

The required rounds were 23 and I could only find 21 rounds to shoot at the targets I had found so far, so I knew there was a target or targets out there that I had not seen as of yet. I finally found it and I am confident I would have had another FTE

had I not used the round count method.... So others may learn and thanks Kevin!

That's a great start.

One Very Tricky Course of Fire, I studied for 5 minutes

before I realized I counted one target twice (you could

shoot it or see it from two different positions), and

FAILED to see another target:(

My round count was correct, but I was still missing

one target...

But, you're on the right track.

Good luck.

Jack

another little trick is to walk behind the targets and props and look at them from another anlge. May help to find one thats hiding behind a barrel or something.

I found that if I am actively helping tape, reset activators, or help keep score, I do a better job of knowing where the targets are and how many there are.

...which is what EVERYone should be doing. There are always going to be a couple of prima donna's that feal they don't have to paste/paint/reset steel.

If you're not shooting or reloading you should be scoring, ro'ing, or pasting....period.

I found that if I am actively helping tape, reset activators, or help keep score, I do a better job of knowing where the targets are and how many there are.

...which is what EVERYone should be doing. There are always going to be a couple of prima donna's that feal they don't have to paste/paint/reset steel.

If you're not shooting or reloading you should be scoring, ro'ing, or pasting....period.

Preaching to the Choir guys..... :cheers: Always try and do more than my share of taping/helping and such. This particular week was one of those where I was drawn early. The first three stages of the day I was 3rd, 4th and 1st out of 14 shooters, and I am a little slow in getting my game plan anyway... :surprise:

another little trick is to walk behind the targets and props and look at them from another anlge. May help to find one thats hiding behind a barrel or something.

I really like this one Corey! Thanks!

That's a great start.

One Very Tricky Course of Fire, I studied for 5 minutes

before I realized I counted one target twice (you could

shoot it or see it from two different positions), and

FAILED to see another target:(

My round count was correct, but I was still missing

one target...

But, you're on the right track.

Good luck.

Jack

Thanks Jack! This is such a great sport.... :cheers:

What about FTE on targets that the RO says he does not know if you shot at because you out ran him? and get the FTE any way off of the sound

My RO/Dennis is such a good guy! He asked me if I had engaged them and because I am a little new he was willing to give me the benefit of the doubt, but I NEVER even knew the target was there..... :rolleyes: