Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Dies?

Just got my new to me 550 back from the crew in AZ and can't wait to get it set up. Among the things that came with this press were Dillon 223 Sizing and Crimp dies. The odd thing is both of them have a BLACK finish while all of the other Dillon Dies (old and New style) that I own are just polished. My searches on here did not bring up anything, but care to enlighten?

Thanks,

Just got my new to me 550 back from the crew in AZ and can't wait to get it set up. Among the things that came with this press were Dillon 223 Sizing and Crimp dies. The odd thing is both of them have a BLACK finish while all of the other Dillon Dies (old and New style) that I own are just polished. My searches on here did not bring up anything, but care to enlighten?

Thanks,

Good question modoc. I have a set of the black 223 dies also and as you say all my other Dillon dies are shiney. They do a good job but I have always wondered why they are black.

Those are clearly assault dies. Unless you are military or law enforcement, you should return them immediately. Nobody needs an assault die! ph34r.gif

Yeah, Right............. :roflol:

I went back and looked at them this weekend. The black coated dies appear to be all steel construction while my dies in the "white" are a carbide set. Maybe this was done for ease of identification. Either way, they get the job done and look good at the same time :goof: