Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slumdog Grandmaster

DonovanM

Fun match today! Not only did it start snowing partway through but apparently I shot my first 100% classifier :ph34r:

Points are still my big issue. There were a few stages where I just shot at brown. Unfortunately it's my default behavior, and I have to be mindful - every time - about really seeing what I need to see. Getting better though! Total points shot on the day was close to 85%, which is where I seem to be hovering around in the last few matches. Only one miss on the day and it was a low hit on a double stacked set of targets that might have been 15 yards out, so I can't complain, especially when my POI with the 115gr ammo I shoot is in the bottom half of my front sight <_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHGlhdwuh9s

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, almost a year after making this diary my goal of making GM is in sight. I made Master this weekend by a healthy margin, and I should be about 3% away from GM if the right scores get tabulated.

I know the classification means almost nothing... and I'd probably be better off without it at a major match. But, goals are goals, and it's nice to track progression. Plus if I ever get on national television I can brag about being a USPSA Grandmaster. Just kidding :)

Anyway, I did shoot a match the weekend before last and it was really interesting. I was really on point in terms of accuracy - FINALLY - after a few matches of trying to shoot 90% plus points I finally churned out a nice 93% even with 3 Deltas, two of which while falling over at a 20yd target. Really happy with that. My match score was also within 5% of a local GM, so that felt good too :D A few too many makeup shots on steel though, especially on the first stage of the vid. They were at 20yds though, and my gun shoots super low (POI in the lower half of the front sight) so I can't be that upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yNKUAOp6U

And here's this weekend's classifier match. I put down another 100%, a 92 and an 86. One stage I just completely sucked at and had 4 Alphas out of 12 shots. All the targets were right in close too. This also killed my point percentage, but it was a small match... oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7pPp4Xylo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, almost a year after making this diary my goal of making GM is in sight. I made Master this weekend by a healthy margin, and I should be about 3% away from GM if the right scores get tabulated.

I know the classification means almost nothing... and I'd probably be better off without it at a major match. But, goals are goals, and it's nice to track progression. Plus if I ever get on national television I can brag about being a USPSA Grandmaster. Just kidding :)

Anyway, I did shoot a match the weekend before last and it was really interesting. I was really on point in terms of accuracy - FINALLY - after a few matches of trying to shoot 90% plus points I finally churned out a nice 93% even with 3 Deltas, two of which while falling over at a 20yd target. Really happy with that. My match score was also within 5% of a local GM, so that felt good too :D A few too many makeup shots on steel though, especially on the first stage of the vid. They were at 20yds though, and my gun shoots super low (POI in the lower half of the front sight) so I can't be that upset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_yNKUAOp6U

And here's this weekend's classifier match. I put down another 100%, a 92 and an 86. One stage I just completely sucked at and had 4 Alphas out of 12 shots. All the targets were right in close too. This also killed my point percentage, but it was a small match... oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7pPp4Xylo

kickass brotha!!!!!

what gun are you shooting production with now?

The boring choice... Brand G :)

IMG_0138.jpg

Looks like that Sig is shooting well in the videos!

Yeah, I never had a problem with shooting it. Still a very accurate platform and I ran it plenty fast. The slide stop though... as you can see in the picture, that's how it's setup perfectly for my hands and grip. But it's not legal for Production. With the stock release my slide almost never locked back, and with the legal extended release it locked back prematurely :( Could have changed my grip, but nah, wanted to get as high up on the gun as possible. Brand G is better for that I think. Plus the longer sight radius, bigger magwell, only one trigger... it was an easy switch :)

The boring choice... Brand G :)

IMG_0138.jpg

Looks like that Sig is shooting well in the videos!

Yeah, I never had a problem with shooting it. Still a very accurate platform and I ran it plenty fast. The slide stop though... as you can see in the picture, that's how it's setup perfectly for my hands and grip. But it's not legal for Production. With the stock release my slide almost never locked back, and with the legal extended release it locked back prematurely :( Could have changed my grip, but nah, wanted to get as high up on the gun as possible. Brand G is better for that I think. Plus the longer sight radius, bigger magwell, only one trigger... it was an easy switch :)

I'm thinking of switching back to Glop for production as well, I just can't get used to that damn DA pull on the CZ Shadow. Spoiled by my open guns...I may give it another month but dryifiring that DA CZ the front sight is moving unless I slow wayyyyyy down...then it's like watching paint dry. I may just deck out my 17 just do it.

Well almost a year later and your classed above me now!!! Congrats dude!! Great job. I hope you break that GM card out in the next couple months!! You are doing great.

Thanks! All I really did was dry fire and shoot club matches. I'll be interested to see how fast I fully acclimate to the Glunk. I've done some dry fire and even a little live fire practice ( :o ). We'll see tomorrow when it's my first match with it :D

• 1 month later...

So, consistency.

Yeah... consistency...

That's about all I know about that! I think it's one of the weakest parts of my game and the next thing that I should approach working on. I need to work on everything pretty much, but shooting at near to the same level across a day of shooting is a big thing for me at this point.

I've made real strides in the shot calling department, at least on paper. I might be seeing too much and thus giving up some time I wouldn't otherwise need to, but I'm OK with that for now as long as my points are good. In my most recent match I shot 92%+ of the points available (one of my scoresheets was lost, dunno the exact number), so I'm happy with that. It's my goal to keep it around 93-94% and definitely over 90. I still make way more makeup shots on steel than I'd like, so I have that to work on too. Need to visualize my sights on the steel better pre-stage I think. It sometimes follows the pattern that I throw a couple misses on my first shots on steel and then go 1 for 1 after I'm dialed in.

I've decided I'm going to make a real effort to raise the funds and get a slot for Nationals this year. Dunno how I'm gonna do it, I need to be a member of a club to be eligible for a slot from my section. Dunno, I'll figure it out.

Here are a few of my recent videos. The Glunk has been running great, zero issues so far as long as I don't fudge my grip and completely stop the slide from moving... or ride the slide release and prevent it from locking back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMs2MfGLFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlar7eKeKk0

Edited by DonovanM