Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you setup your CR WSM-II?

DocMedic

I was wondering how everyone else was setting up a CR holster on their belt, and the reason for it. I know "perfect" practice will make perfect draws as that’s concerned but I'm more interested in the kinesiology aspect. The way I have mine setup (STI 2011 9mm) for steel atm is to mirror my draw from my Bladetech DOH, basically same angle same height. But for 3gun I use a None DOH kydex holster and feel that at times I can draw faster from that then from the DOH, of course I have nothing to really base that theory out.

Is there a optimum angle you want your arm to be as you rest your hand firmly on the pistol as you draw? I wonder if holster placement would be different for those who have "fast" twitching muscle vs. those with "normal" muscle movement. Between the DOH and Non-DOH bladetech holster there’s about 2 inches of drop, but with the WSM, it seems you can adjust a drop up to 6 inches, would further down make a .10 +/- of a diffiernce in your draw. Does canting the holster aid in a faster draw? etc etc.

What is everyone opinions.

I like the front strap of the pistol to be parallel to teh belt, and dont really care about how high or low, as I use a "scoop" draw, I just keep it in the same place all the time, fairly low, but with the amount of surrender starts? and Table starts etc. I don't think it matters.

I want to make sure my shoulders are in external rotation to stabilize the joint while shooting so I set my holster position as far back as I need to in order to have a point of reference with my forearm touching the grip/magwell and still be in external rotation with my hands at sides.

As for your 2nd paragraph, considering the differences in anthropometry, there is really no correct answer. Experiment with it all on the timer and see what is fastest. For me, I don't like DOH holsters at all.

I want to make sure my shoulders are in external rotation to stabilize the joint while shooting so I set my holster position as far back as I need to in order to have a point of reference with my forearm touching the grip/magwell and still be in external rotation with my hands at sides.

Interesting, So do you have your elbows rotated in when you get into a shooting position, or are you Pushing your elbows out, while externally rotating your shoulders?