Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Feed Failures

9x23w

I have a 10mm Hunter which I have fired in only 2 sessions, one with 140 gr truncate cone cast bullets and one with 165 gr round nose jacketed bullets. Both were loaded to 1.25" OAL.

In both cases there were numerous failures to feed. The jacketed bullets were a little better. They were accurate and ejected perfectly, but about 1 in 6 rounds would jam as follows:

1 - The front of the case would catch on the top of the barrel.

2 - The cartridges somehow wound up above (and in front of) the breech face and of course would then wedge downward as they entered the barrel.

I have never seen either of these types of jams in an auto. The jams seemed to occur randomly no matter how many rounds were left in the magazine.

I have 3 magazine, all 10 rounders, 2 of which came with the gun and 1 was purchased separately at a later time. All are identical and jams occur with all of them.

The rounds sit very slightly higher in the front of the magazines. Again all 3 mags work the same.

The gun appears perfect, very well finished, great trigger, no signs of burrs on the inside.

Note - the gun has the old style magazine catch even though EAA says it was made in 2006.

I am trying to avoid sending it back as it is expensive to ship.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone experience any of these problems?

Help!

Measure the width of the magazine feed lips. They should not be wider than .385 - .390 at the leading edge of the feed lips. The nose high jam into the top of the chamber situation is usually due to the magazine feed lips being too wide. When the feed lips are too wide it allows the front of the rounds to enter the chamber area way too high and eventually get jammed into the top of the chamber. Them slipping off the bottom of the breach face is to be expected when you get a jam at the top of the chamber entrance. This is because the round is at such an inclined angle the back end of the case simply slips down off the breach face when the nose of the bullet hits the top of the chamber entrance.

I have a 10mm Hunter which I have fired in only 2 sessions, one with 140 gr truncate cone cast bullets and one with 165 gr round nose jacketed bullets. Both were loaded to 1.25" OAL.

In both cases there were numerous failures to feed. The jacketed bullets were a little better. They were accurate and ejected perfectly, but about 1 in 6 rounds would jam as follows:

1 - The front of the case would catch on the top of the barrel.

2 - The cartridges somehow wound up above (and in front of) the breech face and of course would then wedge downward as they entered the barrel.

I have never seen either of these types of jams in an auto. The jams seemed to occur randomly no matter how many rounds were left in the magazine.

I have 3 magazine, all 10 rounders, 2 of which came with the gun and 1 was purchased separately at a later time. All are identical and jams occur with all of them.

The rounds sit very slightly higher in the front of the magazines. Again all 3 mags work the same.

The gun appears perfect, very well finished, great trigger, no signs of burrs on the inside.

Note - the gun has the old style magazine catch even though EAA says it was made in 2006.

I am trying to avoid sending it back as it is expensive to ship.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone experience any of these problems?

Help!

EAA has the new Mec-Gar mags for sale in 10mm.$39/1 or 2 or more for $25 per. I shot 75rds thru four mags last weekend in my hunter. Tested all factory loads --- Remington,Atlanta Arms, PMC(200gr) and and PMC Starfire JHP. All 75rds ran great. The OAL Issue is over with! I even loaded one mag with ALL four brands alternating every two rds. Again no run issues. You will fall back in love with your Hunter again.

Be aware that the Hunter guide rod is two pieces held together with a small hollow pin. During the four mag shootout my pin broke and the long part of the guide rod flew out the GR hole under the barrel. Since our Hunters have never fired 75rd strings i can only assume it put so much pressure on the GR that it snapped the pin. I called Christy at EAA last Monday and she sent me a new one at N/C. The pin looks like it's press fit in and doesn't even go all the way thru the hole. Maybe made of ALU but not TOOL STEEL. Very poor design! I will take it to my gun smith and have it drilled out and a solid steel pin installed. I also bought another factory GR from Henning as a back-up($30). Headed back to the range on Sunday to test drive the new GR and shoot another 150rds to see if any other issues show up. But my Mag problems are over with, i own a real 10mm gun that shoots ammo.

david

Cha-Lee: Thanks. I measured my mags as best as I could (I did not have an inside micrometer) and it looks like the spacing at the front is around .400. When I push the rounds out of the mag they tip up a lot before they clear the lips. Do yours do that with correctly sized mags?

Now for the hard part - what is the best way to narrow the lips? Pressure (ie, pliers) or impact (tapping with a plastic faced hammer)?

David S - Thanks for the info. I did see the mags but I need to buy 10 rounders, not sure the 10's are the new style. Interestingly enough the Mec-Gar site doesn't even show 10mm Mags for Witness guns.

Cha-Lee: Thanks. I measured my mags as best as I could (I did not have an inside micrometer) and it looks like the spacing at the front is around .400. When I push the rounds out of the mag they tip up a lot before they clear the lips. Do yours do that with correctly sized mags?

Now for the hard part - what is the best way to narrow the lips? Pressure (ie, pliers) or impact (tapping with a plastic faced hammer)?

David S - Thanks for the info. I did see the mags but I need to buy 10 rounders, not sure the 10's are the new style. Interestingly enough the Mec-Gar site doesn't even show 10mm Mags for Witness guns.

Mec-Gar will not market the 10mm mag with their logo on the base pad in the US. It will only be sold as a Tangfolio mag with TAN. base pad. The 10mm mag that they sell is only for the Large frame guns you would have to contact EAA to see if a 10mm, ten round mag is in their game plan. I assume it is.