Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hv 9mm w/ 90gr bullet

MAC10

Closest I've loaded was the MG 95gr JHP, they are sweet! I use them as my Steel Challenge load. I was loading 4.7 N320, CCI SP, range brass, OAL- 1.078. You can stretch the 95gr out to 1.110 but that's pushing it. I had to re-spring my guns to run this. I went to an 11lb in my 9Pro and a 6lb in my STI Open shorty. Feels like shooting a .22

my 90gr calls for 1.070. kinda new with this m&p9. you say you changed the recoil springs. what # is the stock spring?(in the m&p9) please explain the poundage ratio for loads. i assume if your using a lite load a stiff spring won`t work the action as well or at all reliably. where can you buy different springs for the m&p? if i use a 90gr bullet at around 1200+ fps, will i have to change the spring to something stiffer than the stock?

thanks!

Edited by MAC10

It is listed as a 15 lb stock in the M&P 9Pro but it's more like a 15.5 or 16. I tried 13 and 11 ISMI and the 11 works great with light loads. 13lb is my favorite for most other loads. Yes, if the recoil spring is too heavy, it will not allow a light load to reciprocate the slide as it should so you can reduce it. BE CAREFUL if you don't understand the working of light/heavy loads and springs. You can really screw up your dwell timing and start having a ton of bad issues.

No, 90gr moving at 1200 is only 108 power factor - the would be an 11, might get away with a 13 but I doubt it. I noticed that until I got up until about 115 PF then I could move to a 13lb spring.

I got mine from Speed Shooter Specialties - Kenny is a great guy to deal with and he has everything for S&W pistols.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

Edited by gng4life