Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Square Firing Pin Stop

tatu_ph

Good Day!

Can anyone enlighten me about his part. I've been thinking of putting this one in my gun but I'm kinda skeptic about it's advantage (if any). According to the brochure it is for delaying unlocking. But, is putting heavier Main Spring be just the same?

I tried it,didn't feel any advantage. It made racking the slide 3x as hard. It is kinda of like putting a heavy mainspring in but it's even harder to rack the slide. I don't know of any serious competition shooter that runs one. :surprise:

I use them, but maybe I'm not serious enough for Roy ;)

If you start with a square one, you can make it any profile you want, you don't have to leave it square, you can make it to fit what you want to do. Adding a heavy mainspring also ups the trigger pull, changing the timing with the FPS doesn't.

I use them, but maybe I'm not serious enough for Roy ;)

If you start with a square one, you can make it any profile you want, you don't have to leave it square, you can make it to fit what you want to do. Adding a heavy mainspring also ups the trigger pull, changing the timing with the FPS doesn't.

I was refering to leaving it square. This was discussed on another forum about having a square FPS+23lbs mainspring=recoil reduction. I tried it and found no recoil reduction and had a heck of a time just racking the slide by hand. I was stating I don't know of any other competition shooters using a Square Firing pin stop with no radius. ;)

I shoot pins with two 1911's. Both have the EGW pin stops in them with a very small radius. I also run heavy recoil spring rods in them. before the changes to these guns I would use a 22# spring but now both guns use a 17-16# spring with about 4000 rounds and no sign of battering. I tested recoil and gun movement between the two and the guns stay on target a lot better now. As far as felt recoil it is a tad lighter now with the same loads... My loads are 255 swc under 5.3-5.4 unique aol 1.93. They run about 870 or so. I don't know which helped the most the EWG stop or the heavy recoil spring rods...But they shoot so well I hate to mess with them! :)