Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Shrugged - The Movie

I'm just curious about how they would ever do John Gault's soliloque in such as way as to be faithful to the text and the message and still work in a movie. Most people have the attention span of...... oh look, a kitty! (You get the idea.)

And if you recall in the book, Dagny screamed in horror when Wyatt's property went up in flames. Falling to the ground in tears is not such a stretch.

And if you recall in the book, Dagny screamed in horror when Wyatt's property went up in flames. Falling to the ground in tears is not such a stretch.

In the instant before she saw it and her scream cut the voices of the crowd, she knew that she had known that which she was to see. In a break between mountains, lighting the sky, throwing a glow that swayed on the roofs and walls of the station, the hill of Wyatt Oil was a solid sheet of flame.

Later, when they told her that Ellis Wyatt had vanished, leaving nothing behind but a board he had nailed to a post at the foot of the hill, when she looked at his handwriting on the board, she felt as if she had almost known that these would be the words: "I am leaving it as I found it. Take over. It's yours."

My mistake.

Certainly not how it was reproduced in the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...