Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 or 2 piece base, what is better??? and high,med,low rings?

hello, well i was at the local gun store today and they had that remington 700 laminated varmint there and i think i like it, it doesnt have the shine or smothness as my 700 lss but its still pretty nice..... i think im gonna buy it......

now I can order it through a mail order company for much less money (bad karma i know) and i am pieceing together all the rest of the stuff that goes along with a new rifle. i scene the one piece leopold basses in there and i was wondering what the advantages of them are over a standerd 2 piece leopold set?????

i also cant decided what is a good ring hieght for me to get, leopold lists extra low,low,med,high,extra high......????

i suppose it all comes down to shooter preferance but i dunno... Im a pretty big guy and here is what i do when i shoot, i call my self a "stock creeper" and i tend to press my cheack against the stock firmly......  the gun has a monte carlo cheakpiece so its got a little lift allready.....  my lss i used the medium rings (i think) and it seems fine to me......

thanks guys......

-gbm-

The 2 piece bases give a little more access to the mag area. I've heard people argue that one type is better than the other. I have rifles with both types and never had a problem with either. As for the height you want the lowest that will allow the Obj. lens to clear the barrel. If you are putting some 44-50 mm obj. lens scope on you'll need high rings. Med. works good with most 40 and lower.

(1) piece mounts are generally considered stronger and more stable.  Custom police and military sniper rifles generally use Badgr. Ordanance or Night Force rings and bases.  They are not cheap, but of the best quality.

Regarding mounting your scope, you want to mount the scope as low as you can so the front objective just clears the barrel.  If your not using an adjustable comb stock, you will then need to build up the comb so that you can achieve a proper cheek weld (same every time) and so that your eye is perfectly aligned behind the scope with the proper eye relief.  The issue is to be comfortable behind the rifle.  You don't want to have to lift your head off the stock to get a sight picture.  Set up scope and rifle the right way the first time and you will be much happier.

Nick-

If you go with night force rings and mounts you can get them from D&B supply in NC.  They are a night force dealer.  Tell them the scope your mounting and they will send you the right rings.  I'm not sure about ordering Leupold rings as I don't use them.  Email me and I'll give you the link to D&B Supply if you need it.

Also, Brownells carries Badger Ordnance rings and bases.  If you call Badger Ordnance and ask them what size rings to use, you can then order them form Brownells.

Nick-

Nick

Why don't you want to lift your cheek off the stock?  I learned to shoot on a Remington model 14 that had been fitted with a scope on a side mount.  The stock design on the model 14 was for use with the factory installed Marble open sights.  So I "learned" that proper feel was actually the jawline on the stock.  As a result I need generally the highest possible rings for the proper sight picture.  ie.  an AR-15 standard carry handle mounted appature sights are a little low for me, now if you mount one of the cheap 4x's on top of the carry handle that is perfect.  

I was trained to have as much of your face (cheek) on the gun as possible as this gives a more consistent and stable cheek weld.  When you lift your head or use a chin in stead of a cheek weld, I don't believe you are as stable.  There are some advocates of chin welds and even chin stocks, but I never found them comfortable and I felt like my head wanted to shift, not allowing me to keep my eye perfectly aligned behind the scope.

I actually set up a rifle so that I can get into it with my eyes closed and then open my eye.  Everything should be aligned perfectly.  

I'm also a police sniper and I may have to lay behind a scope for long periods of time.  By laying your face (cheek) on the stock your using less neck muscles and are more relaxed.  

I also shot a lot of sportsman team challenge competions.  I experimented with all different rifle/scope set ups with my custom 10/22.  Again, mounting the scope as low as possible and then building up the comb for a proper cheek weld worked best for me.  Just my .02

Nick-