Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micro Reddot, CO-witness with Tall irons on 2011

DocMedic

No reason it couldn't.... would just require finding some sights and milling them in.

My question is: why? I get the redundancy thing, but having sights take up a large portion of an already small viewing window seems counter-productive to being able to shoot a dot well.

Heres my thinking behind it, The reason why people like C-more's over micros is that for one the viewing screen is larger so its easier to track the dot faster, since most micro reddots are about 2/3 the viewing size of a C-more, it takes a moment to find the reddot on the draw and you can sometimes lose it on a transition. But now if you put some sort of Irons behind the mix you have a focal point for your eye's to naturally center too, so there is no dot searching on draws. It wouldn't have to be tall sights, but something that would draw your eyes to the dot itself and bring the pistol level.

No reason it couldn't.... would just require finding some sights and milling them in.

My question is: why? I get the redundancy thing, but having sights take up a large portion of an already small viewing window seems counter-productive to being able to shoot a dot well.

+1

The primary idea behind tall sights is to provide a sighting platform over the top of a suppressor not necessarily cowitness function with and RDS . Any type of RDS offers up the advantage of only one sighting plane. To put two more items in the dot window defeats the whole purpose.

IMO redundant sighting systems on a primary working gun have their place, but two sighting systems on a secondary weapon is pushing into "Tactical Overkill" territory.

It does look bitchin tho and bitchin sells like hotcakes :ph34r:

it takes a moment to find the reddot on the draw and you can sometimes lose it on a transition.

Work on your index, and the problem goes away.

Adding sights will generally make things worse...your eye has to decide whether it should be looking at the front sight, rear sight, the dot or the target. With just a red dot, all you do is look at the target (done properly) with no need to change focus back and forth from sight to dot to target etc.

it takes a moment to find the reddot on the draw and you can sometimes lose it on a transition.

Work on your index, and the problem goes away.

Adding sights will generally make things worse...your eye has to decide whether it should be looking at the front sight, rear sight, the dot or the target. With just a red dot, all you do is look at the target (done properly) with no need to change focus back and forth from sight to dot to target etc.

+1! You're just asking for more mental/visual confusion.:blink:

Pat

, it takes a moment to find the reddot on the draw and you can sometimes lose it on a transition. But now if you put some sort of Irons behind the mix you have a focal point for your eye's to naturally center too, so there is no dot searching on draws.

If you find yourself hunting for a dot then you may not recognize it but your draw and index needs work and you are hunting for irons as well. Your mount of either the pistol or rifle should orient the weapon so the sighting system (dot, sights, ghost ring, scope, etc) is on target or it needs more practice to develop.

To further complicate things... if you are looking for/at a front sight, then you are probably properly focused on the front sight. This takes away the advantage of being able to focus on the target with the dot superimposed. Sighting plane mumbo jumbo.

I just ran through the same mental drill when I decided to get a micro red dot melted into a Glock slide. Decided against the back-up iron sight option, and just got the call yesterday that my slide is on its way home!

I agree that this has a place for hard-core tactical applications where you may have to take a head shot at 30 yards just to find that your battery is dead. I doubt I'll ever find myself in that situation again... :ph34r:

Post pictures!!!

-Randy