Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Score Sheet Example?

blind bat

I'm taking over score keeping duties at my club for Steel Challenge this year. One of the problems we've had in the past is with score sheets. Historically, we've used the same score sheets we use for IDPA and one score sheet (per shooter) per stage. This caused lots of issues since shooters generally buy multiple runs and their are a lot more divisions in SCSA than there are in IDPA. We run into problems with missing score sheets or missing info (usually division or run number) on the sheets.

I'm planning to make one 8"x11" score sheet with with enough room for five stages and the shooter's info. I'm hoping to fit a shooter's entire run on single sheet so there will be a lot less sheets to keep track of. I think this is doable because I only need to keep track of the string times for Steel (no penalties, procedurals, etc.).

Before I go reinventing the wheel, does anyone have a template (.doc, .xls, etc.) that I could modify to suit my needs?

Also, are there any guidelines or does/don't for getting these things printed? Is there a standard size margin most print shops expect?

Thanks!

What I did for my Steel Matches is I put Stage Score Sheets at each stage. Since there are five stages and I almost always have five squads, I print up 25 sheets per month. Then when all the shooters go to Stage 1 (for example), all shooters put in the shooting order. If they run two guns, I make it clear to always shoot the first signed up gun first and the second one as the second gun. Makes it simple, no numbers to remember, etc., etc. The other advantage to this is when a stage is done with say 12 shooters, it's only one sheet of paper (so saving paper there) and I get the advantage of starting the score keeping within 30-40 minutes of the match starting. Makes it more efficient, less time at home doing scores, saves paper, and shooters don't have to remember any numbers or abbreviations.

I started the matches at my club 19 months ago and they have ran flawlessly like this. I do have Stage Score sheets and Match Signup sheets if you are interested in doing it this way. Let me know....

I should have mentioned my club doesn't do squadding Steel Challenge which makes things a little hairy at times especially when it comes to score keeping. It's harder on the staff but it makes the matches much less intimidating for new comers. I've had people run through the match twice with three guns each time.

1. Maybe add a simple a set of rules (ie, "Throw out your slowest time for each stage" etc.) for the newbies.

2. Within each stage box, put in a box beneath the times for the shooter to add up the total time for that stage.

3. Have an area off to the side where the total time for each stage can be written and added vertically by hand.

3. If one of your stages is Outer Limits, then you might want to black out the 5th run spot for that stage number.

4. Rather than calling it Stage 1, Stage 2, etc., it would be better to use the stage names.

5. A simple picture of the stage that specifies the stop plate is very helpful, especially for people new to Steel Challenge