Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACOG Positioning

Rob Boudrie

I recently acquired a JP CTR-02 configured for IPSC (18" lightweight bbt, Coolie Comp, rail for secondary iron sight (pending), and JP ACOG). I am new to rifle shooting, hading had a stock AR for years but hardly ever shooting it.

I've noticed the integral ACOG mount on the CTR02 provides three positions for the scope (whcih I'll call forward, middle and aft). The ACOG does not have a lot of eye reliev, but I can position myself to see the scope in any of the three postions.

My question is this: What is the consensus as to the "best" position of an ACOG on the integrated JP upper mount?

You should mount your scope to reflect how you handle the rifle. I'm a stock crawler and need a forward mounted optic. But that's me. I know several very good rifle shooters who mount their optics farther to the rear than I do.

Glockster is right on about prone. When shooting prone you're face is as as forward on the rifle as it's going to be so make sure you set the scope for proper eye reilef in the prone position.