Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington "Enhanced" Competition R1 for SS

Remington4Life

I enjoy shooting SS very much when I have borrowed a .45 in the past and ran it through some stages. I would like to get a Single Stack and have had my eyes set on the R1, then I saw the R1 "Enhanced" competition model. Im not looking to spend $1200 or be super competitive but I would like a decent gun and dont mind putting a couple hundred $ into it to get it feeling right in my hands.

I just want to see if anyone has played around with the R1 or even seen anyone who has and what you think of it. How do you think this gun will stack up against other guns in similar price range? (not top of the class STI SS guns)

I think the "enhanced" model will be out this summer, but im not sure.

Here are a couple links for more data on the gun.

link 1

Link 2

Looks like a serviceable pistol. Just add a magwell (and maybe a better front sight with a smaller fiber optic like from Dawson). With an MSRP of $940, I'd expect street price to be aroundt $750 or so? Thats a good bit cheaper than a STI Trojan. (but a little more than a STI Spartan....)

the basic R1 is ok for what it is, i actually liked it better than the SA mil-specs that i looked at.

The R1 barrel fit is much tighter than my friends mil-spec.

My R1 shoots better than his mil-spec, even after he got it back from Springfield for repairs.

The R1 is a Series 80 gun, so you have the FPB in there.

with that said, i would still go with a Trojan for a game gun.

here's a thread that i started on the 1911forum, with detailed photo's of my R1

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275331

and here's the initial range report.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=275568

and here's what it look like in it's current state.

1162583234_gqEr8-L.jpg

Edited by Quack

Great pics and detail, thank you.

The STI is too much for me, was thinking more along the line of Springfield, used Kimber, S&W or the Remington. The Spartan is in the budget but i dont know much about it.

I get a better deal on these bigger name guns from the gun store I used to work at, as they no longer carry STI.

Also my first 1911 was a Remington Rand in mint condition that I regret selling so there is a little sentiment leaning towards the Remington.

Just so long as you understand Remington Rand from WWII made typewriters and has nothing to do with the current Remington Arms company. <_<

Having said that, the Remington R1 I handled seemed well made, and pretty tight. I think you could do alot worse.

If you're on a budget and were limited to Springfield, S&W, Remington and a used Kimber, i would get a Springfield Range Officer, and put a Dawson FO front sight and Magwell on.

Edited by Quack

If you're on a budget and were limited to Springfield, S&W, Remington and a used Kimber, i would get a Springfield Range Officer, and put a Dawson FO front sight and Magwell on.

Thats good advice, forgot about the Range Officer model.

I looked up the Range Officer and like everything I see, Im going to see if I can shoot one, or at least fondle it.

Thanks for all the great info.

sfinney, Remington & Sons owned the typewriter company and sold it in 1886, over 50 years later Remington Rand made the 1911A1 for the military. I know its not the same company but there is a cool relation.

Remington Arms did make a 1911 in 1918 for the military for less than a year and couldn't keep up with production levels the government wanted.