Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition Seating Die Problems

I recently picked up a Super 1050 from a member here on the forum. I really love the machine. I had a Hornady LNL Progresive prior to this and I really loved that machine also. With the Dillon I seat and crimp in 2 different operations which were combined in the Hornady.

Anyway, I bought the Redding Competition dies so I could easily dial in the seating as I use several different bullet types for shooting 45ACP. The die seemed to work in the beginning but now I'm having problems. I will either increase the decrease the seating depth a few notches and then the die will all of a sudden change a significant amount. Like up to 1/4 inch. Then I will try to work my way back to the previous setting and suddenly depth will jump again. I took the die apart, cleaned it, set it up again and no change. It will significantly change at times with just small incremental changes. I'm a little frustrated and kind of at a loss of what to try next. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a different problem with the same die in 38spl. I basically load 2 bullet types in 38spl. 158gr LSWC and 148gr WCHB bullets. The problem is that the seating depth is very different between the full wadcutter and semi-wadcutter that the die runs of room to properly seat both bullets. I'm not sure there is a solution to this one and it may just be best to sell the die and get another seating die just for wadcutter from Dillon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by arjuna70

I use Redding Comp Rifle Dies in a Rock Chucker.

Is the change in seating depth shorter or longer when it happens?

If shorter here is what could be happening. Since the die uses a spring loaded guide sleeve, it might be seating the bullet with spring pressure if your cases don't have enough neck tension. It could also be pushing on the bullet with the edge of the guided sleeve.

Hope this helps.

If shorter here is what could be happening. Since the die uses a spring loaded guide sleeve, it might be seating the bullet with spring pressure if your cases don't have enough neck tension. It could also be pushing on the bullet with the edge of the guided sleeve.

I spoke to Redding and he recommended taking the spring out of the die. Before I did this I took the advice of cdrissel and reduced the belling on my cases. This made the difference. Removing the spring also helps but the real issue was the bell. Thanks so much for the help.

As far as the 38spl die, the guy from Redding is sending me 38spl Wadcutter insert and recommended I reset the die once I seat the SWC bullet. He said there will be enough room to adjust the die down for the full Wadcutter. The Redding customer service is excellent. I'll definitely buy their products again.

Edited by arjuna70

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this story does not have a happy ending. After changing the bell on the case and even removing the spring I still had inconsistent seating. After several calls to Redding no luck. The guy at Redding was very helpful and he advised me to send them to him, but I just felt like I had already wasted too much of my life on these dies. I sent them back to Midway for credit and bought 3 more seating dies from Dillon with some Hornady Lock rings. Now I just pop in the preset seating die for the bullet type I am loading. $75 well spent. Maybe other people will have better with these dies than me.