Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationwide shortage of certain Hornady shell holders

Recently I have been trying to locate some Hornady brand shell holders for my Hornady case prep center. For an item with a list price of <$6, they sure are hard to find!

Impossible, so far actually. All of the following are out of stock and/or backordered on shell holders #1 (.308 Winchester) and #6 (7.62x39 Argument):

MidwayUSA

Sinclair International

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Cabelas

Graf & Sons

Buffalo Arms (their website is not current, I verified with a phone call today)

Natchez Shooters Supply

Local stores (they've never carried Hornady shell holders in my area)

Hornady (yes, even the factory is out of stock, and says they'll be sending the next batch to one of the above)

Am I missing anyone?

I don't do Ebay. On Amazon, two sellers have one of each of the shell holders, but not both at the same place.

I'm not going to do that. I would end up paying nearly twice the cost of the items (over $18) in shipping. I'll just wait for the usual places (already listed) to get them back in stock, so I only have to pay shipping once.

By then, I'll probably need something else, so I can fill out an order at MidwayUSA & avoid the small-order charge.

Edited by Warhammer4k

I am in the same boat trying to find a #10 shell holder for a LNL AP that has been on back order for a month. I contacted Hornady and received a form letter response - we are expereincing high demand blah blah blah. I am very close to just canceling the order and getting a Dillon. It will cost me more but at least I would have a press.

I wasn't 100% sure what you meant. Is it the LnL AP press itself that's backordered, or the #10 shell plate (I assume you meant shell plate, as that's what the LnL AP uses)? Both?

I'm not sure what's going on at Hornady. I just got off the phone with them on another matter, but briefly discussed the shortage in many things Hornady. In her words, "they're backlogged."

More success than they were ready for, perhaps?

It's been this way since at least November when I bought, and then returned, a Hornady LNL AP. The two that came with it were bad from the factory, and the factory warranty replacements were WEEKS out. That and the case feeder never working correctly were the key reasons a 650 found it's way home not too much longer later...

• 2 weeks later...

The Hornady #1 shell holder was briefly back in stock at MidwayUSA, starting yesterday in the afternoon. By now, they're out of stock again, and not allowing backorders.

They've remained in "backorder OK" status on the #6 shell holder throughout. I'm also well short of the minimum order to avoid a $4 "small order" fee.

Cabela's is allowing backorders on both, BUT...the minimum quantity you can backorder is 4 each. So, that doesn't really work for me either.

Guess I have to keep waiting.

Seems like an ongoing issue with the Hornady equipment. I bought my LNL AP in earlly 2008 and it took quite a while to find the press and then collect all the shell plates I needed. Those were just minor headaches though as the equipment is great... when you get it. Hang in there on your searches

The elusive Hornady #1 was briefly listed as "available" at MidwayUSA yesterday in the afternoon. But every time I tried to buy one, I got a nonsense error message.

While I was trying to find enough other stuff to buy to avoid a "small order" fee, the damned things went "out of stock" again.