Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sneaky butt kicker

Flexmoney

hanged.gif

Shooting Limited (G35), I seldom have to reload after my second magazine. (With the first and second mag, I have 38+ rounds.)

Well, my second mag hasn't been dropping when empty. (It's a FML drop-free that isn't too tight.) I really never considered it an issue. It seldom happens, and I seldom shoot Limited 10...so it doesn't come up very often.

Found the problem...

The follower is too small for the mag...front to back. I'll have to check, but I likely stuck a 9mm follower in there during a mass equipment cleaning session. There is enough slop that the follower, when pushed against the back of the mag, will ride up over/next to the slide stop. I hit the mag release...and the follower catches on the stop.

UGH!!!

Of course, this only happens when the gun is dry. Not very often. But, there are times when I will run the gun dry. And, I am pretty damn sure that this little trick cost me BIG time at the Factory Gun Nationals last year...shooting Limited 10. I can vividly remember two stages that I couldn't get my mag to drop. There might have been more, I hesitate to go look at my notes.

It was bad enough that I nearly swapped out my mag release. But, since this never happens to me, I convinced myself that it wasn't the equipment and that I was getting in the way of the mag release as it pushed thru the far side (it does touch my middle finger). That, or match jitters and such.

The bright side...at least I have something worse/new to beat against my head other than the one bullet I let loose that cost me 6 places at the match. I am sure this cost me more.

Heck, reliability is why I shoot the Glock...and here I am screwing it up by putting bad/wrong follwers in it.

As somebody usually states..."it's the singer not the song"... :P

Seriously, glad to hear you found that glitch in your equipment.

I was going to post something about the (dis)advantages of using a glock instead of an S_I, but then I remembered I had a couple of panic days when my drop-free mags were hanging up invariably upon ejection during dry and live fire.

Later I discovered the trigger bow of the brand-new installed tri-glide trigger system needed to be slightly enlarged, because it was brushing against the mag body... :(

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who often finds themself saying "now this is a stupid a** problem to be having"

I have CZ's and I have Tanfoglios. Some CZ mags will work in Tanfos, some Tanfo mags will work in CZ's. Not all mags will work in both. If the above information is known to be true then why do I continuosly try it anyway?

a.) Because I'm an idiot (Format used without permission from the SAT)

When gearing up for a match twice now I discovered I have the unique ability to disregard all magazine markings that I use. I am now resorting to blaze orange initials for the pistols each mag functions in. So if anybody sees me at a match thinking my initials must be CZ since I am shooting a Springfield P9 please feel free to ask, or slap me, your choice.

Alan Elam

but I likely stuck a 9mm follower in there during a mass equipment cleaning session.

I try to be very careful about this. I take my mags apart one at a time and try not to have extra components around that I can mix up. It takes longer but I feel better about the mags when I'm done.