Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD40 or XDm40 Mag Base Extensions

sherpa

I've seen some extended base pads for the XD40 and XDm40. One is from Canyon Creek, but I believe it won't fit the box. I'm not sure which of the others would fit in the IPSC box for Standard Division (ex. Arredondo, Novak, Pistol-gear?). Has anyone used the XDm for standard division with base pads, and how many rounds did the mag end up with?

I'm still contemplating on either an XD (stock mag has 12 rounds) or XDm 40 (stock mag has 16 rounds) and just add base pads for added rounds, and want to know my options before deciding w/c of the two units to get, since the XDm's cost around $400 more over here :( 'Maybe', if there would be base pads that would bring the XD40 mags to at least 16 rounds while still fitting the IPSC box, I might just consider this cheaper unit and spend the $400 on the other needed accessories & stuff.

Edited by sherpa

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my first competitive pistol match yesterday, CPSL (which is a watered down IDPA type Carolina's based shooting league, similar rules just much more relaxed). Being that it's a "practical" shooting league I showed up with my factory 4in XD thinking it would be pretty standard of what I'd see. Nope. Out of a field of about 50 there must have been 20-25 guys running what would damn near amount to open guns (magwells, comps, cr speed holsters, etc). I finished up 6th and was extremely pleased for my first time out. But like you, I realized quick yesterday that 13 rds just isn't going to cut it in the competitive pistol world. I was having to reload on stages that no one else needed to. The first stage was a 14 rounder, the second a 16rd (a few other people did have to do a reload on that one). Fortunately, I do a lot of dry fire and a ton of reloads so it didn't slow me down a ton. Between me and first place was about 30 seconds, I had one 10 second penalty for a "d" ring hit. So I need to eliminate the mistake and still have to pick up 20 seconds, I'm thinking I can pick some of them up by not having to do so many reloads (eliminate the mistake and I would have ended up 4th for sure, or maybe even 3rd depending how long that one extra shot would have taken). Long story short, from my first time out I can tell you 100% get the one that holds the highest number of rounds if you really want to compete. If anyone comes back with some advice for IPSC or IDPA legal extensions let me know. I probably can't run out and buy a new pistol but adding some higher cap mags is probably doable so I'm extremely interested in this thread.

I cant tell you if they fit the box or not but the Canyon Creek XDM 40 mags fit the 140 mm gauge. I have several and while I hate having to remove a set screw to take them apart, they run 100% with the grams spring and follower.

Oh yea I forgot to mention they hold 21 rounds. Easy to reload with 20...

Edited by Avezorak

I've seen some extended base pads for the XD40 and XDm40. One is from Canyon Creek, but I believe it won't fit the box. I'm not sure which of the others would fit in the IPSC box for Standard Division (ex. Arredondo, Novak, Pistol-gear?). Has anyone used the XDm for standard division with base pads, and how many rounds did the mag end up with?

I'm still contemplating on either an XD (stock mag has 12 rounds) or XDm 40 (stock mag has 16 rounds) and just add base pads for added rounds, and want to know my options before deciding w/c of the two units to get, since the XDm's cost around $400 more over here :( 'Maybe', if there would be base pads that would bring the XD40 mags to at least 16 rounds while still fitting the IPSC box, I might just consider this cheaper unit and spend the $400 on the other needed accessories & stuff.

The XD 40 (12rd) mag can hold 16 rounds but it will be the 140mm length and it will not fit into the box. My guess would be that a base pad to fit into the box will only increase capacity by two rounds.

Rich