Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75 gr Hornady AMAX - AR15 Loading ?

eapnat

Okay,

I’m trying many loads for my AR trying to find that perfect powder-bullet combination.

I decided to try Hornady’s 75 gr AMAX. (I have a 1:8 twist so I’m exploring 60 to 80 gr bullets). I set my seating die to give me an ogive length of 1.82; after loading thirty rounds it struck me that the bullets looked really long. I tried them in my MagPull magazine and sure enough … to long! So I adjusted the seating die and kept seating the bullet deeper and deeper until it fit in the mag. Then I realized that in order to get it in the mag the ogive of the bullet is down in the neck of my case. Picture the case extending past the point where the bullet has tapered below .224. The bullet is going to have a hell of a jump before it engages the lans; so I’m thinking that could lead to accuracy problems (possibly function as well?).

Secondly, I set these bullets over 23.5 grains of IMR 4064. This load was compressed at the first setting of the bullet. Now it’s really compacted, could that be a problem?

Appreciate any of your thoughts.

The max OAL for an AR-15 magazine is 2.250". If it were me I would seat anything to around that or just under to get it to fun in your mag. You will not be touching the rifling on any bullet in a 5.56 nato chamber if you are loading them from a mag. If I were you I would give up on the AMAX bullets and go with either 69gr or 77gr SMK, they will both run at 2.250 without any problems in an AR and give you sub MOA accuracy if your gun will do it. If you do go with the SMK's run around 24.5 grs of Varget behind the 69's and drop it a half a grain for the 77's. Good luck with your shooting!

• 3 weeks later...

75 grain AMAX will shoot great in your gun........... as a single shot load. It won't fit as a magazine length tolerant round. Ditto the above advice on 77 grain SMK and the 75 grain Hornady HPBT. It does fit in magazines and was the go-to bullet for years by service match shooters. The Sierra is taking over though.