Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Comp for RF?

RevolverJockey

Just wondering what comp everyone is running. I ran a search and didn't come up with a poll or anything. I have a TS comp and like it well enough, but seems like the nose is a little light. Anyone tried putting something like a JM comp on a TS Trail/Paclite barrel? Thoughts? I have a Buckmark with a 4" TS barrel if it matters. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Just wondering what comp everyone is running. I ran a search and didn't come up with a poll or anything. I have a TS comp and like it well enough, but seems like the nose is a little light. Anyone tried putting something like a JM comp on a TS Trail/Paclite barrel? Thoughts? I have a Buckmark with a 4" TS barrel if it matters. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Sorry but what's a JM comp?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ruger MK II with a Volquartsen on it which I like very much. I also have an older MK II that at one point in it's history went to Clark to be comped. They actually channeled the comp into the end of the barrel and it works great!

The only one I've ever heard bad intel on was a cheap set screw attached model that was in Sportsman's Guide and various other wholesalers for awhile. I think they're gone now. Apparently the things were too small a bore and shed lead. Some even popped off under rapid fire :surprise:

I would like to find one of the 1911 Marvel kits that are comped to play with but haven't come across a used on yet.

So far mine is working flawless. She said she feels a difference with it, and it balance's the gun nicely. I'm going to start on some threaded models when I have some time.

Edited by Bansheex

• 5 weeks later...

We got the threaded comps done. They work great, even better than the slip on ones. The tests were done on a 5" threaded barrel from Tac-Sol. We drilled and taped the comp, screwed it on the barrel, and indexed the top. Then we moved to the mill and cut the ports. We then decided to try it out on my 7 1/4" non threaded barrel. We chucked it up in the lathe, made sure the bore was true, and threaded the barrel. Made a comp for it as described earlier, and it worked great.

Here are some pics....

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

We ended up threading all the barrels, and building comps for all the guns.

Nice looking comps!!

When you say they "worked great", does that mean they functioned fine or that they helped keep the dot more steady? Are those blanks and you cut them out? Are you selling them? Thanks

Well they function and help keep the dot on target. They are turned from solid stock. We are planing on selling them. At this time, we are doing comps for the Buck Marks only. They my work on others as well. They are threaded 1/2X28 We are working on finding a good source for indexing washers factory threaded barrels.

I will PM you a link for more info.

Don

Edited by Bansheex

• 3 weeks later...

Lee

If you have a TS threaded barrel and you want to put some more weight on the end of the barrel I can recommend the TS 2211 steel comp that they make for the 22 conversion kits. My BM racegun weighs in at 27 oz with the aluminum comp on the end of the barrel and 30 oz with the 2211 comp on the end. That is a relative weight using my RCBS trigger gauge. so the steel comp is putting something like 4-5 oz of extra weight on the end of the barrel.

I am starting a fairly comprehensive test of rimfire comps, both rifle and pistol, in the area of muzzle flip and recoil and what ammos work them best. Besides the TS comps I have, BansheeX is supplying me some of his and I have gotten donations from John Allchin and Scott Volquartsen, plus some tactical ones from Nordic.

If you know anyone who makes comps, either slip on (.900" ID) or threaded in 1/2-28 and wants theirs tested for inclusion in a report that will go on RimfireCentral.com later this year please have them contact me. I do not know if I will be finished with it before the Ruger Rimfire WC in early August (I will be there) but I will be trying to weather and shooting schedule permitting. I have a 45 day window right now with no major matches to shoot till the PA State SC match in early July.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee

If you have a TS threaded barrel and you want to put some more weight on the end of the barrel I can recommend the TS 2211 steel comp that they make for the 22 conversion kits. My BM racegun weighs in at 27 oz with the aluminum comp on the end of the barrel and 30 oz with the 2211 comp on the end. That is a relative weight using my RCBS trigger gauge. so the steel comp is putting something like 4-5 oz of extra weight on the end of the barrel.

I am starting a fairly comprehensive test of rimfire comps, both rifle and pistol, in the area of muzzle flip and recoil and what ammos work them best. Besides the TS comps I have, BansheeX is supplying me some of his and I have gotten donations from John Allchin and Scott Volquartsen, plus some tactical ones from Nordic.

If you know anyone who makes comps, either slip on (.900" ID) or threaded in 1/2-28 and wants theirs tested for inclusion in a report that will go on RimfireCentral.com later this year please have them contact me. I do not know if I will be finished with it before the Ruger Rimfire WC in early August (I will be there) but I will be trying to weather and shooting schedule permitting. I have a 45 day window right now with no major matches to shoot till the PA State SC match in early July.

After shooting with one of the Allchin comps on my Browning I seem to like this one pretty well so far. It's alloy so it does not add any forward weight to shift the balance but I like the amount of recoil and muzzle flip it creates. Have not done any test rig firing as yet so all results are subjective. One reason I like it better than some of the others is that it has a large skirt around the threads that slips over the barrel and instead of using a peelable washer like most directional/tactical comps it comes with 2 different thickness rubber o-rings. This makes it easier to take on and off. Plus the 2 massive ports it has are easier to clean the crud out of. It is a 2 chamber 2 port design. Unlike say the VQ V-Comp which is a single chamber 6-port design. I'm thinking I might use it in the PA State SC event at York in July. Results of speed drills is encouraging (or I'm getting better).