Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Belt Setup

I have done some searches and found several threads about 3-gun belt setups but most of them diverge to discussion about a particular aspect or carrier on the belt.

Tomorrow is my first 3-gun match. They're fixing the steel targets, so putting on a 3-gun instead of the regular USPSA match. I'm shooting Tactical Scope Limited with my 1911 and 10rnd mags. I have 2 or 3 6rnd shotgun shell carriers, a double AR mag carrier, a single AR mag carrier, 3 double pouch single stack mag pouches, and a variety of AR mags. I do not have a vest, everything needs to be set up on the belt (CR Speed).

I would GREATLY appreciate pictures but good descriptions will suffice since I need to get this thing set up TONIGHT. :surprise:

I have a 34" waist, so not much room, but no "overhang" in the belly department. Also wondering where you guys put your CR Speed velcro overlap. Front or back? I ususally do front since I shoot SS in USPSA and can't have anything there anyway.

If I missed a thread discussing this, PLEASE post a link. I did all I could in searching.

Thanks for any input!

*edit* I'm a right hand shooter.

Edited by Erik S.

I'm also a 34 waist so there's not a lot of real estate. I have 2 pistol pouches on my left side, 1 sg holder in the front, and one AR mag pouch behind the pistol pouches. I also have a second belt that has 2 additional sg carriers on it. I only use this second belt when I get to a stage that a lot of SG targets. I do keep one of the 5-shell holders on my sg stock. This setup seems to work.

I run the shotgun caddies in the front on an as needed basis. If not needed, they are off the belt. I shoot a limited gun so usually just 2 spare pistol mags max ie one more than needed for stage. For the rifle mag, I run an extended mag so either have the spare way in the back or just toss one in the back pocket in case the on in the gun messes as I use a mag long enough to prevent reloading the rifle

Hey Erik, keep it flexible. With 3 gun you'll probably want to tailor your gear to the stage. Dont sweat it too much. You'll probably be right on for most stages with the overlap in the back, the SG caddies up front, 3-4 pistol pouches on your side and a single AR pouch behind it.

Have fun!

-N

I shot 3-gun with a 1911 for a while before getting a 2011, and there a few times where I wondered if I had enough pistol mags on me. If you're running 10-round mags that ought to help.

I carried the pistol holster and mags in the same place as I shoot SSTK, but downloaded to only four mags on the belt. Like most of the other replies the SG carriers go in front and a single AR mag pouch behind the pistol mags at around 7 o'clock. For most of the 3-gun matches I go to, I've never needed more than the AR mag in the gun and one on the belt. I overlap the belt in the back, but the overlap is around 4 and 5 o'clock to make room for the AR mag pouch. I did put extra velcro on the back of all my mag pouches and SG carriers, and also used some extra belt keepers to make sure the two belts didn't separate. I imagine zip-ties would work in a pinch.

These were exactly the replies I was looking for! Thanks a bunch! I think you're right that I shouldn't sweat it. Never thought to taylor it to the stage....I'm so used to my standard SS belt setup.

Thanks again!

Well, I sucked at the 3-gun match but not for the lack of a good belt setup!

I had trouble mentally during stages. I believe this is because I wasn't used to transitioning between several gun types as well as remembering stage instructions. There were a lot of target order instructions (I.e. shoot failure drill on first paper array, move to table where shotgun is staged with empty chamber, shoot poppers and texas star with shotgun then 2 slugs on specific target, move to 3rd shooting box, shoot more slugs on specific targets and remainder of poppers then plate rack with pistol strong hand while holding shotgun in weak hand). Was just a lot to remember and there were SO many targets, I actually forgot 2 paper on one stage. I was actually borrowing a lot of gear that I didn't have much experience with and an AR that wasn't sighted in well. Lol

Had a BLAST! Might do it again sometime but the match took 6hrs for 4 stages.....so a bit long. I love shooting but it was really windy and dusty so got windblown. Everyone but a few of us left at the end, so teardown was a pain.

All went well, no close calls or major safety issues for the match as a whole from what I gathered so it was successful!

Thanks for your tips and belt setup advice.

I am shooting a double stack gun so I don't have to carry as many magazines, but one thing that has helped me is to move my ar mag pouch to the small of my back and turn it horizontally instead of vertically. It saves me some space in front for my shotshell holders (usually run 3 sometimes 5) and I can reload just as fast.

Yeah, those shotshell holders are nice. I had 2 6's up front and ran out on one stage. I looked pretty goofy pulling shells out of my back pocket. :D Luckily, there wasn't a whole lot of AR, so I didn't need a bunch of mags. There was alot of shotgun.

I am a decent shotgunner and shoot rifles well also since I come from a long range background vs. pistol. I did mostly F-class with the rifle, though, so there is not much speed involved. Working the AR (thank goodness I didn't have any feeding/ammo problems!) and shotgun while thinking about what was next on the stage was difficult!

I really need to challenge my mind into remembering stuff and work my way up to remembering the instructions for a whole match. Saul Kirsch has a drill in his book where you remember your called shots starting with 1 target (ie. 1st high left Alpha, 2nd low middle Alpha) working up to a whole string of targets. I think that brain exercise would carry over to remembering stage instructions as well.