Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 550 primer seating cup catching

I have used the search function with no concrete answers to my issue.

New 550B with 1000 flawless 9mm rounds through machine. Just recently the primer seat cup has started striking something that is preventing the seat cup from rising up to seat the primer in a new cartridge. If someone can assist me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

GK

Are the 2 screws on the bottom tight? Take it apart and put it back together and see if that some how fixes it. If not it might need to be realigned. You will need a aligning tool to do so. But I could be way off.

Sounds like primer cup is contacting the bottom of the shellplate. If it's not lined up perfectly, it will scrape on it's way in, or completely not go in.

First thing to do (easier fix) is check and make sure there isn't something like a spent primer at the base of the ram preventing the primer bar from pushing all the way in to the proper position. Also check for anything else that may prevent it's full range of motion(dirt, powder, etc). Make sure it's clean.

If that isn't it, you may need to adjust the part #14037 in the diagram. First you will have to loosen part #13898 to move the other one. Just make very minor adjustments. Turn it a hair, then check the primer cup seating, and adjust accordingly. Make sure to tighten down the nut, #13898, when you have it where you want it.

This is what I have found in the past. No idea how it gets out of whack, but it happens.

dillon-1.jpg

thanks for the help, primer seat cup is now seating properly. I loosended 13906 a little too much and the whole assembly popped out. Cleaned everything and put it back together and it seated. Second thing is I took out the two screws 14014 and cleaned everything with solvent as there was a lot of build up. After reassembly of the primer tube housing, primer seating is perfect, no primers are seating in the cup.

Greg

I had trouble with the spent primer chute (can't find the part#, nor it on the diagrams?) getting jammed in the closed position due to a bent cotter pin. This would put sideways pressure on the primer bar and push it out of alignment. A tell-tale sign was a small grove being worn in the side of the primer bar.

Switching to a safety pin instead of the cotter pin solved the issue.

I had trouble with the spent primer chute (can't find the part#, nor it on the diagrams?) getting jammed in the closed position due to a bent cotter pin. This would put sideways pressure on the primer bar and push it out of alignment. A tell-tale sign was a small grove being worn in the side of the primer bar.

Switching to a safety pin instead of the cotter pin solved the issue.

Or a small paper clip. Bend one end 90 degrees, insert, bend other end 90 degrees. That is what I did. I couldn't find a safety pin laying around the house, otherwise I might have gone that route.

I had the screws that hold the aluminum ramp in station one to the ram back out. It caused the ramp to lower and prevented the primers from seating all the way. I never touched those screws prior to this hapening, may have just been a fluke.