Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL in .45

Doggorloader

Hi all.

I have been loading .45 ACP quite successfully for a number of years. Also have had quite a bit of fun shooting various pistols chambered in .45. Inherited my press and equipment and a loading diary/record file that goes back a long ways from someone I trusted and respected in the shooting sports. Since I have read recently OAL and crimp wisdom on the forum (some made me wince) I would like to share the exerpts from the diary concerning those subjects. I would like to add, it has worked flawlessly for me using a variance of components.

Quoted from the diary:

45 ACP OAL has NO effect on accuracy.... and almost no effect on pressure with the 45.

OAL is meaningless unless you know exactly what bullet and brass you are using. (because nose lengths vary all over the map.) What is very meaningful is the exposed shoulder of lead bullet rounds, as this affects the head space. Pistol rounds should not be jammed into the rifling like rifle rounds sometimes are. Take your barrel out and drop your round into the vertical chamber. Adjust its overall length until the case rim falls by gravity just barely beyond flush with the end of the hood of the barrel. Record this setting for each bullet style(and brass)for future repeatability. Seriously, that is all there is to it. I hope you don't waste valuable time testing as I did before I learned the above. Some less informed people will argue with the above based on invalid testing and what they have read from the writers who don't shoot 45's. I have done extensive testing in a barrel tester and machine rests. Did a little with a bullet (loaded round) tester.

Regarding Zero crimp... This is what the factory Ball rounds are supposed to have. However, it is hard to get perfect zero crimp with reloads. This is due mainly to variations in lead bullet diameters and case thickness. Therefore, the tested and true way to make up 45 rounds is to taper crimp the mouth of the case to something between .466 and .470". More crimp than this can cause bullet tumble. If you don't have a micrometer, crimp two rounds and hold them up together toward the light. When it is perfect you will see light between the cases near the crimped edge. The length of this lighted area varies from crimp die to crimp die but should be no more than .100".

Another good test is to use your thumbnail and make sure the edge of the case is buried only half the thickness of the case mouth into the lead bullet.

Loads done this way will feed better than factory wad... and can be just as accurate depending mostly on the bullet quality.

Like I said, it has worked very well for me. and....no matter what bullets I purchase I have a way of making sure my OAL is consistant.

I have been working with some 230gr FMJ loads using different powders to try and get 850FPS (+/- 25) when using my pro 1000 and those nasty auto disks. I noticed that my taper crimp is at about .471" do you think this is not enough crimp?

A open ended question for everyone is out of the powders I have on hand what to you guys like the best for the load parameters stated?

230gr FMJ at 1.270"

trying to reach 850FPS +/-25

powders on hand= tite group/ W231/ WSF/ Power Pistol

CCI 300 & WLP primer

Press =Lee Pro 1000 (and those @#$%^&* disks)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working with some 230gr FMJ loads using different powders to try and get 850FPS (+/- 25) when using my pro 1000 and those nasty auto disks. I noticed that my taper crimp is at about .471" do you think this is not enough crimp?

A open ended question for everyone is out of the powders I have on hand what to you guys like the best for the load parameters stated?

230gr FMJ at 1.270"

trying to reach 850FPS +/-25

powders on hand= tite group/ W231/ WSF/ Power Pistol

CCI 300 & WLP primer

Press =Lee Pro 1000 (and those @#$%^&* disks)

I use Clays 4.0 - 4.2 for major w/ 230.

TC is .468 - .471.

Now - I've just had a BIG problem this weekend actually - running my .45's at 1.265 - they work in my STI but will simply NOT work in my 2xStack Para. All the guys I shoot w/ told me, in no uncertain terms, I was an idiot! "...45's should be COL 1.200 - 1.210..." - everyone (almost) told me that. I checked some of my cookbooks & I got everything from 1.550 (my shooting buddy sez 1.165 is the magic # but I think it's too short) to 1.270! I will say COL of 1.200 + works fine in my Para but the accuracy stinks as I went to the range yesterday & gave it a run.

So that's as little & as much as I know - which ain't much! ...oh, one thing I do know is: my Glocks will eat anything!!!

Edited by stinsonbeach

I usually run a 255 swc at 1.20 with 5.3 unique. 875 fps Now one gun I use has to have a oal of 1.92 or less ( tight chamber ) with the same bullet...Out of the same gun these loads differ by 30 fps, I thought this is due to a bit more pressure due to less case space. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Bill

I usually run a 255 swc at 1.20 with 5.3 unique. 875 fps Now one gun I use has to have a oal of 1.92 or less ( tight chamber ) with the same bullet...Out of the same gun these loads differ by 30 fps, I thought this is due to a bit more pressure due to less case space. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Bill

I don't know about SWC's, but this is what I've learned - & you're running 875?! Whew!

Anywayz it seems that you have to load short for double-stack so I'm loading <1.250. When I hand cycle it seems to work fine. I'll have to take it to the range to know.

At 1.200 I'm all over the place. Shotgun pattern is the norm. I do know you have to load SWC short, but w/ 230 ball 1.200 is NOT the COL.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it!!!

255 swc are a very different animal than a 200 gr. I also have a ransom rest and form my LB premier II ...These bullets group 1" at 25 yards. only need them for pins at 25'. :) If I load any longer than 1.93, even with the bullet sized to .451, they will not go into battery. I load 5.8 grs in my 625 and they run 925+, it has only a 4" barrel..I don't have the attachements for this gun yet to use the rest but on a bag at 25 yards they are all under 2.5".... The 850-875 stuffs in the 5" guns leave a very small amount of leading but the revolver has quite a bit after a match..does it's job quite well when the pins get heavy.

255 swc are a very different animal than a 200 gr. I also have a ransom rest and form my LB premier II ...These bullets group 1" at 25 yards. only need them for pins at 25'. :) If I load any longer than 1.93, even with the bullet sized to .451, they will not go into battery. I load 5.8 grs in my 625 and they run 925+, it has only a 4" barrel..I don't have the attachements for this gun yet to use the rest but on a bag at 25 yards they are all under 2.5".... The 850-875 stuffs in the 5" guns leave a very small amount of leading but the revolver has quite a bit after a match..does it's job quite well when the pins get heavy.

Thanks for the COL on SWC - I'll make the note.

-jb

JB my smith 1911 runs 255 at 1.20 all day! It's just the LB that I run them a bit short..The 625 either oal works but for some strange reason the shorter oal is more accurate..

Bill

In my single-stacks - no problem w/ 1.265, but the 2xStack it's been really giving me fits. I'm hoping that just under 1.2500 does the trick...seems to. Remember I'm running 230 FMJ ball. When I run it at 1.200 or so it feeds just fine, but I have no idea where the rd. will wind up!

-jb

ps it's interesting to have heard from so many people w/ such divergent COL's & loads. Certainly tells us all that it ain't rocket-science, eh?

JB my smith 1911 runs 255 at 1.20 all day! It's just the LB that I run them a bit short..The 625 either oal works but for some strange reason the shorter oal is more accurate..

Bill

In my single-stacks - no problem w/ 1.265, but the 2xStack it's been really giving me fits. I'm hoping that just under 1.2500 does the trick...seems to. Remember I'm running 230 FMJ ball. When I run it at 1.200 or so it feeds just fine, but I have no idea where the rd. will wind up!

-jb

ps it's interesting to have heard from so many people w/ such divergent COL's & loads. Certainly tells us all that it ain't rocket-science, eh?

If I remember correctly, when I had a Para, I ran Zero, or Berry, 230 fmj about 1.24" OAL

Bill

-jb

If I remember correctly, when I had a Para, I ran Zero, or Berry, 230 fmj about 1.24" OAL

That sounds just about right...

Edited by stinsonbeach