Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCF slide failure

IPSC_RUS

Hello, we have 3 G17s with a CCF slides and IGB match barrels in our shooting club.

One gun with less than a 6000 rounds mileage had a slide failure.

Another one with 4500-5000 have small cracks around striker hole. Guess it won't live as long as 300-500 rounds.

Third one has 3000 rounds mileage and seems ok. Guess we will see somth intresting for the next 3000 rounds.

The slide itself is very soft - deforms quickly in slide stop area.

Question is: did anybody see anything like it? May be it's somehow related with use of Barnaul ammo?

post-27473-092244800 1300695836_thumb.jp

post-27473-090598200 1300695946_thumb.jp

Edited by IPSC_RUS

Wow, I haven’t seen anything like that. Most aftermarket slides I’ve seen are Caspian and Lone Wolf and I haven’t heard of firing pin hole cracking from either. Usually the problem is an offset pin hole or undersized striker channel in caspians. Any stock or aftermarket slide should be able to handle that ammo, afterall there are a lot of folks running 9 Major and .40/.357 sig full power defensive loads through their small frame glocks without these issues.

Despite my area of living (we are not allowed to have pistols or revolvers,only store it in Shooting club), I do work with Glock pistols for about 4 years.

Those slides would score 3 points out of 5, meaning stock ones are 5 out of 5.

Cheap paint, soft metal, Dawson and Heinie rear sight posts are sliding right and left if not glued.

Main question is - maybe problem lays in cheap ammo?

I saw Sigs with broken extractors on 6K-10K mileage. My mate's CZ SP-01 Shadow slide got cracked on 20K, another one lived for a 25K.

All pistols are running on Barnaul ammo exclusively, sometimes getting Wolf's.

Does anybody have any theories on the topic?

Not really. The mild steel used in steel cased ammunition is a lot softer than ordnance quality steel. In fact the nickeled casings that we put into our guns without a second thought are harder than the mild steel casings. In any event, a casing doesn't explain things like peened slide stop notches, cracked firing pin holes and whatnot. Obviously the culprit is inferior steel and/or heat treating.