Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Shooting" at the TV

Patrick Scott

Hello,

I lurk here quite a bit and I always see mention of the dry-fire drills on Predator Tactical. While I have always liked these drills my lap-top doesn't work well due to its small size and lack of decent volume output so... I plugged in the HDMI cable and put it up on the 47" TV. Wow! I think this may be the best way to get full use out of these drills. I highly suggest those with the ability to try it out. All of this got me to thinking though. Are there any DVDs out there where someone has simply run through stages with a video camera? Video'd a mover at the range? I am imagining it would look something like a FPS video game. I think if done right it would be a decent tool.

Hello,

I lurk here quite a bit and I always see mention of the dry-fire drills on Predator Tactical. While I have always liked these drills my lap-top doesn't work well due to its small size and lack of decent volume output so... I plugged in the HDMI cable and put it up on the 47" TV. Wow! I think this may be the best way to get full use out of these drills. I highly suggest those with the ability to try it out. All of this got me to thinking though. Are there any DVDs out there where someone has simply run through stages with a video camera? Video'd a mover at the range? I am imagining it would look something like a FPS video game. I think if done right it would be a decent tool.

Check out Matt Burketts VIdeo about the Desert Classic. Basically he goes through the courses with a camera while shooting. Very cool. Elvis use to shoot his TVs all the time when his team lost.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried using POV and hat-cams from youtube and on other's DVD's, but the perspective is always off, the gun movement is always in the way, and sometimes the camera has a wonderful view of the ground during a reload. What I did was use my HD vid-cam on a tripod and static arrays of swingers, poppers, metric and classic targets, etc. Then I used my timer for the start signal and par times. Most of what I've setup is from Classifiers since there is no movement. It's really boring to watch as a movie, but strap on the rig and press play and you're off to the races. I have 3 par times for each array: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and that's all menu driven at the beginning of the DVD. For warmup, I use the beginner, then once I've run through all the arrays, I move to intermediate. I don't really play with Advanced yet, because, honestly, I miss the par times on Intermediate about 90% of the time.

The beauty part is since I'm now in an apartment instead of my old house, I don't have to tape up targets all over the place every time I want to do some practice. I think it flows pretty well, but that's just me.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...