Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Revolvers and Bullet Weight

Chuck D

Set aside the fact that my caliber choice will ONLY make minor. I have a 686-7 that I REALLY enjoy shooting and I want to shoot a bit of IPSC with it. I'm debating whether I should use a light bullet (125 grainers at 1050 fps) or heavy bullets (158/160 grainers at 850/875 fps) to make minor p.f.

I'm leaning towards the heavier weight for more of that "push" feel. Curious as to what you fellow wheelgunners think.

Share your favorite loads if you feel so inclined ! :wub:

Thanks Guys/Gals !!!

In a wheelgun at Minor, it hardly matters. I shoot both (depending on what's on the shelf when I hurriedly pack for the range) and don't care which it is, as long as the gun is sighted for it.

One thing might matter: swingers and movers. The lighter bullet will call for less lead, but whacking a swinger at ten yards hardly calls for the zen-like concentration of the mover at Bianchi.

In terms of pure physics, the greater momentum of a heavy bullet will let you knock down metal faster...

But, I assume your gun is the 7-shot .357 Magnum S&W revolver, right?

Then, why would your gun/caliber qualify for minor only?

According to IPSC rulebook, Appendix D5 (Revolver Division), rule #5, there is no restriction on bullet diameter to qualify for major PF, unless you plan to shoot Production division to shoot to capacity (see below).

Beware that, according to the same rulebook, in Revolver Division, you can load your gun up to capacity, but you can only shoot 6 rounds before performing a reload, otherwise you will incur in a procedural penalty as stated by rule # 16 in the same Appendix.

In terms of pure physics, the greater momentum of a heavy bullet will let you knock down metal faster...

Sky,

This is not the place to discuss that here but this is not true :ph34r:

Addendum:

Sky I and I have discussed this offline.

In fact we both seem to agree, it's just a matter of what one takes as a reference.

But, assuming two bullets travelling at the same speed, a heavier one will knock down a plate more easily.

My point was that this assumption was not stated by Sky.

Edited by Garfield

Set aside the fact that my caliber choice will ONLY make minor. I have a 686-7 that I REALLY enjoy shooting and I want to shoot a bit of IPSC with it. I'm debating whether I should use a light bullet (125 grainers at 1050 fps) or heavy bullets (158/160 grainers at 850/875 fps) to make minor p.f.

I'm leaning towards the heavier weight for more of that "push" feel. Curious as to what you fellow wheelgunners think.

Share your favorite loads if you feel so inclined ! :wub:

Thanks Guys/Gals !!!

Chuck,

I have tried a lot of reload in Minor with .38/.357 in my 686 (4" & 6"), and in 627 5" Perf. Center.

I have loaded ......... :P ..... 9 mm bullets (lead) .356 !!! .... in various weights (125 grs - 130 grs - 135 grs - 140 grs) and the results was a very smooht load, very accurate and without recoil , ... BUT ... you HAVE to reload theese bullets ONLY in Minor (low velocity ...) and then the minor diameter (.356) don't (... i don't find the CORRECT word in English !!!) .... damage the accuracy, .... because when you go over the 1020-1030 Fps. the 9 mm. lead bullets start to have "some" problems ....but if you stay in Minor (about 130 Pf), you will not have problems.

P.S.

This is my "personal" experience.

Hi.

Chuck,

A light fast bullet (125 to 135) will seem to snap back to point of aim quicker. At the longer ranges of IPSC say 20 to 25 yards this would be a benefit. I agree with sensei that the accuracy with a 356 bullet tends to diminish the more pressures if shooting it through a 357 barrel. You can however find some 357 130s in a jacketed or plated bullet. And you know that a round nose bullet is desireable. I use a 160 bullet in 357 in an Open Revo for the accuracy I want. It is more of a push than a snap.